The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
edquinby001

edquinby001

WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2 Empty
PostSubject: WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2   WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Just starting a thread for reactions to the news items in the second League news installment. There was a lot to react to! Hard to believe that all seven of the proposed new shows can make it into SYFY Channel's line up. Maybe their budget has become much healthier?

My favorite item this week though was, what was it called, Patton Oswalt's 9 minute nerdgasm? I had heard it would be on Parks & Rec which I watch anyway. It was, but in a very truncated form. Disappointing. Then, the League News kindly supplies a link to the entire scene, very very incredible, much thanks for that.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2   WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2   WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 12:51 am

It would have to be ten times as good as any single movie! But seriously, the parts Oswalt wrote for Han Solo and Luke Skywalker may be better than what we actually get in the next installment.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2   WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 2:41 am

Maybe there will be some Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill guest appearances in future episodes of Parks & Rec, Patton Oswalt's and Adam Scott's character's could try to get the chamber of commerce and the city council to promote Pawnee as a shooting location for the future Star Wars film?
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2   WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 7:47 pm

I watched that Defiance show on Saturday morning, it was pretty bad. Between the bad Casablanca, Romeo and Juliet , Star Wars, and whatever else they crammed in their. You couldn't have fit in another cliche. Truly awful.

"Sy Fy must be network for balls." that was awesome Very Happy
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2   WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 4:06 pm

My reaction to it wasn't quite as negative, but I sure couldn't disagree with any thing you're saying. It was a pretty queasy mash-up of genres dressed up in sci-fi clothing. Chiefly westerns with bits of old gangster flicks and from the ending I imagine we'll see the 'pirates' doing a biker gang terrorizes town thing a la The Wild Ones. Hope I'm wrong about that. The seven alien races seem very earthlike in lifestyle and appearance, which doesn't make sense in that they displaced humans rather than were assimilated into human society. I guess it's easier to write all these tropes than have to y'know invent a lot of stuff.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2   WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 4:23 pm

i dvr'd it, watched it this morning while working but i didnt mind it, it was a lot like Eureka but yeah with all the crap you guys said was shoved in, i figured it was a pilot and was trying to set up way too much, im ok waiting to see how episodes play out But.....

spoiler:

Could anyone explain the big battle scene to me?

Did the traitor blow up the fence too eàrly? He blew it up and then the aliens were hours away!

Why did it never occur to the villains ther might be an ambush kn a steep mountain pass?

When planning an ambush in a steep mountain pass, shouldn't you plan some kind of ambush?

Why did the aliens suspect the rikety scaffold, then shoot it only once?

Why a rikety scaffold?

Why was the Doc the only science tech in the whole town?

Why was the doc so much like Dr McCoy from STOS? I half expected her to start saying "im a foctor dammi..."

Why did the ultimate weapon only work on the bad guys?
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2   WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 6:51 pm

You ask a lotta questions, Joe! I think you may be asking for more structure and scrutiny in this than the writers did, even so, parts were kinda fun. I'll hazard a guess on the last one, 'Why did the ultimate weapon only work on the bad guys?' Well, it practically vaporized everything in the path of its beam, but a few people were shouting, if I recall correctly, 'Fall back!' to the defenders. It's impossible that everyone in that vast area could have heard the shouts, plus the motorcycle aliens probably wouldn't have paid attention even if they heard it over their bikes, but there ya go. It's the only explanation that I got watching it, but a very unlikely one for sure.

What my wife and I wondered was the same as you did, why would the invaders group their forces like they did to begin with? Wouldn't they start with an aerial or long distance show of force? Maybe they have a dictum in their culture about honorable combat like Klingons or something, but nothing like that was said.

I didn't get how much the Doctor was a female alien version of Dr. McCoy until you mentioned it, now I won't be able to think of her as anything else!
Back to top Go down
alissa_g

alissa_g

PostSubject: Re: WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2   WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 9:42 pm

Thanks guys! It's so nice to have fans. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2   WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 4:44 pm

edquinby001 wrote:
I didn't get how much the Doctor was a female alien version of Dr. McCoy until you mentioned it, now I won't be able to think of her as anything else!
Yeah, yeah I see it too. I must have written the show off by then and I wasn't paying attention. I noticed the next one was recording last night.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2   WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WEEKLY LEAGUE NEWS#2
Page 1 of 1