The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Marvel settles with Kirby Family

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Marvel settles with Kirby Family Empty
PostSubject: Marvel settles with Kirby Family   Marvel settles with Kirby Family Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 7:48 pm

Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: Marvel settles with Kirby Family   Marvel settles with Kirby Family Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 5:30 pm

Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Marvel settles with Kirby Family   Marvel settles with Kirby Family Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 6:27 pm

This one's an opinion piece, but it gets more right than any other article I've read yet...

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/30/jack-kirby-finally-gets-his-due/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: Marvel settles with Kirby Family   Marvel settles with Kirby Family Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 12:01 pm

Joe Lee wrote:
This one's an opinion piece, but it gets more right than any other article I've read yet...

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/30/jack-kirby-finally-gets-his-due/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
cheers
Back to top Go down
Peter Urkowitz

Peter Urkowitz

PostSubject: Re: Marvel settles with Kirby Family   Marvel settles with Kirby Family Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 10:15 pm

Yeah, this was great news!

I would love to know the details of the settlement, but it seems unlikely we will ever learn them. But if the family is happy, then I am too.

And if it helps me read the comics and see the movies without feeling so guilty about it, then that's a nice bonus too.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Marvel settles with Kirby Family   Marvel settles with Kirby Family Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 7:28 pm

Peter Urkowitz wrote:
...And if it helps me read the comics and see the movies without feeling so guilty about it, then that's a nice bonus too.
Yeah that's a good point. I'll be less likely to feel guilty now. The history is still there and I'm sure there will still be a few others, but Kirby was the big one for Marvel. I'm sure there are some people working at/for Marvel that may rest a little easier too.

But I've been off the books too long. I would probably be lost. I get my marvel/DC fixes from cartoons, games, movies and TV now mostly. I'm OK with that. Maybe when my kids get old enough to appreciate comics, if they even like comics, I'll likely get into whatever they do.
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
hel Grotesk

hel Grotesk

PostSubject: Re: Marvel settles with Kirby Family   Marvel settles with Kirby Family Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 4:00 pm

Peter Urkowitz wrote:
And if it helps me read the comics and see the movies without feeling so guilty about it, then that's a nice bonus too.
I never felt the guilt so much as it was so much money. Big numbers way more than the price of my movie ticket, and my not seeing a movie or show wasn't going to make a difference. Wouldn't change a thing. All I figure we could hope for was if the movies became successful enough and the characters popular enough it might help honor the memories of the creators, encouraging interest in them and shinning a spotlight on them as more docs get made, more histories get written, and maybe directly or indirectly lead to some sort of positive resolution.
Back to top Go down
Peter Urkowitz

Peter Urkowitz

PostSubject: Re: Marvel settles with Kirby Family   Marvel settles with Kirby Family Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2014 11:03 pm

Hel G, I think you are right, that in a way the success of the movies did help to move the parties to a resolution of this long struggle. Maybe it is easier to approach a problem from a cost/benefit analysis when there is over a billion dollars on the table, whereas emotions can cloud the issue when it is just a few millions. Also, maybe the fact of so much success allowed everyone to feel that there was value to be had from good publicity, and that the pie was big enough to cut off a few relatively small pieces for that good publicity.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marvel settles with Kirby Family   Marvel settles with Kirby Family Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marvel settles with Kirby Family
Page 1 of 1