The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Empty
PostSubject: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 12:16 pm

I was just about to give up on "Marvel's Agents of SHIELD." The stories were a bit lame, conoluted, or just improbable, and almost completely devoid of any serious connection to the Marvel Universe (Until this last episode when it turns out the whole season has been a long form origin story, of a fan fav 1970's Marvel character).

But then when I, newly interested in the show again, went looking for SHIELD news stories this morning regarding the character's introduction into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Not only did I find some, and some news about a cameo from a movie character and a villain from one Thor's pantheon, BUT I also found the below article where Agent Coulsen talks shit to fans AND Jim Steranko...

http://comicsalliance.com/clark-gregg-losers-agents-of-shield-steranko/
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 2:04 pm

Plus a nice Easter egg mention of being stationed to guard Emil Blondsky's (the Abomination) cryo-cell being the Marvel Universe equivalent of being sent to the North Pole. Along with the addition of the character you mention, the show is hitting its stride and solving some earlier disappointments.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 9:10 pm

I was so proud of my wife when she caught that reference. She didn't remember him as the Abomination, but as the hulk-like monster played by "Honey Bunny" from Pulp Fiction.

I've ruined that poor woman.
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 3:07 am

Joe Lee wrote:
I've ruined that poor woman.

If only I had a nickel for every time I'd been accused of that.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 7:19 pm

edquinby001 wrote:
Plus a nice Easter egg mention of being stationed to guard Emil Blondsky's (the Abomination) cryo-cell being the Marvel Universe equivalent of being sent to the North Pole...
It may be more than just an Easter egg, Adrian Paqsdar has just been cast as Major Glenn Talbot. We could be seeing the Abomination soon. Maybe even a Hulk Cameo?

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/03/12/heroes-star-adrian-pasdar-joins-marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d/
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 4:23 pm

That would be gammatacular! In his voice-over work as Iron Man, Paqsdar does a nice Robert Downey Jr. delivery. Sounds like his character here will not be nearly as affable and friendly to Coulson's group. Which makes sense, there definitely should be some repercussions from running roughshod over Shield regs and protocol these last few eps. All together, I've enjoyed them a bit more as well. Of course, that may have as much to do with Lady Sif as anything!
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 2:19 pm

The Winter Soldier film can't come soon enough, explaining what's been going on in the background at SHIELD and where Fury is. I'm curious to see where it all fits in with the show.

But still I wish they'd step it up with the cameos. Abomination would be awesome! Arrow has nearly one or more DCU guest stars every week. Last week's episode had Black Canary, Huntress, Speedy (he really called Roy Speedy), and Deathstroke, as well as flashbacks featuring Prof. Ivo and a reference to Amazo. And the week before was the Suicide Squad, With Deadshot, Bronze Tiger and more. There were several cameos from other DCU villains in their cells. Even Harley Quinn. Shield needs to step up.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 1:56 pm

Hey was the end of the episode last night a clip from the movie supposed to be a part of the episode?

It started out as any other scene in the show with a little text identifying the location as Washington, but finished as an ad for the movie. Was it just an extended clip and an ad or was that the end scene of the episode leading up to the film, a sort of "Continued in Captain America The Winter Soldier"?
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 2:27 pm

Terry M (Ditko Fan) wrote:
I'm curious to see where it all fits in with the show.
If I'm right about last night's episode it fits right in after last night and before the next episode, next Tuesday or maybe it fits in with the next few episodes?

Terry, I totally agree with you about the guest stars being so much more fun and frequent on Arrow. I know they have to be careful about Movie continuity and using only characters that are already established or will never be, but the first season is almost over, there are so many d-list and e-list characters they could have used, thousands. Probably a few b and c listers they could have gotten away with too.

But Centipede is to close to Scorpion for my tastes. If it leads there it'd be a waste, I'm still holding out hopes for a stylish Steranko inspired Nick Fury SHIELD film. Which directly contradicts my above plea for sure.

Maybe the reference to the Abomination will lead somewhere.

And there are more movie characters that could work, like Sif. Why not Dum Dum Dugan (Jr. to solve the time issues, and no continuity problem with a Jr. either right?)

Why not some Avengers members or villains you know won't make it in the big movies, or c-listers that already have ties to SHIELD like Mockingbird or Spiderwoman. Spider-Woman (she'd muddy the movie waters for some but her SHIELD connection could be a great season long MAOS story or could she already be Sky?)

Moon Knight (too much like batman for movies but as a storyline on SHIELD and possible TV spinoff?),

Taskmaster could be a great villain with all those Avenger's powers. And not likely to make a movie. Too cool to be a throw away like Batroc but not engaging or cool enough to carry a movie like Red Skull, Loki or Ultron
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 9:45 am

I thought the Deathlok suit looked a lot like the costumes on Arrow.
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 2:44 pm

Very true, the brief x-ray shot of Deathlok actually looked more like the comic version or was that my wishful thinking? Maybe it was intentional and a harbinger of things to come. Along those lines, I guess the astrology conversation with Skye, I think it was her, saying she was a Scorpio is a nod to Steranko's 'Who is Scorpio' classic story. If so, it was a nice Easter egg, maybe with a payoff down the line?
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 4:12 pm

edquinby001 wrote:
Very true, the brief x-ray shot of Deathlok actually looked more like the comic version or was that my wishful thinking? Maybe it was intentional and a harbinger of things to come.
I took it as a nod to the comics version, or maybe an admission that the x-ray shot was as close as they were going to get to the comics version, but I hope you're right and it's a preview of things to come.

edquinby001 wrote:
Along those lines, I guess the astrology conversation with Skye, I think it was her, saying she was a Scorpio is a nod to Steranko's 'Who is Scorpio' classic story. If so, it was a nice Easter egg, maybe with a payoff down the line?
I missed that. Very cool if it was.
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 11:29 am

Suspect  Suspect  Suspect spoilers: Suspect  Suspect  Suspect 

Ok so given the events in Winter Soldier, how do you have a show called Agents if SHIELD, without SHIELD? Looking forward to how they move forward with this as well as how this effects all the other movies.
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 12:52 am

Anyone else catch the reference to the Griffin in tonight's episode? Just a quick mention of John Horton, a guy with lion paws for hands.
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 3:04 pm

I heard it alright, but couldn't begin to reference it. For the life of me I couldn't think of a Marvel character with lion paws... Zabu? he's a tiger, a Red K effect? that's DC. So, I gave up, well done, Terry! The action seems like it's about to get interesting in this series, hope it doesn't get slowed down with too much soap opera. And Garret has some cyborg parts!
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 12:25 am

Lots more more references tonight. It's nice seeing Deathlok, Maria Hill and Glenn Talbot all in the episode. But I still wanted more.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 12:43 pm

How about that Man-Thing reference. And while she was on the phone with Pepper Potts? Almost as cool as the Stephen Strange mention in Winter Soldier.

I love the idea of Talbot and Hill being in the show, I can't help wondering if this is all leading to a Deathlok/Abomination fight in the finale. Okay more wishful thinking than wondering.

I agree, I still want more Marvel supporting cast members sprinkled around. Not saying they should get Sally Field to make a guest appearance. But, there are a great many supporting characters to choose from. Having a Howling Commando's grandson be on the team was an awesome idea and a pretty good start, maybe a few more occasionally reoccurring characters would be cool.
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 2:59 pm

I explained the Man-Thing reference to my wife as, "He is Marvel's Swamp Thing but has the intelligence of a raccoon". She's never read comics, so it's funny that she does know who Swamp Thing is. The power of even a 30 year old C level movie I guess.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 12:45 pm

I think DC(more likely suits at Warner Bros.), is trying to answer Marvel's incursion into prime time TV. In addition to Arrow and the promised Flash spinoff, I just saw trailers for "Gotham" and "Constantine" all of which promise to show ACTUAL comics characters. Unlike Shield that just mentions them.

Say what you will about continuity or quality. DC's TV shows have actual title characters, a & b list villains, and some actual Justice League members. Where MAOS has references to a, b, and c listers, and the occasional cameo from Sif, Fury, Hill or Deathlok. Even the main villains are just a sub-sect of Hydra.

Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 11:23 am

edquinby001 wrote:
The power of even a 30 year old C level movie I guess.

Two movies, a two season live action syndicated TV series and a kid's cartoon show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxxVv5VetBo
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 2:55 pm

Wow,Terry! I knew about the second Swamp Thing movie, but apparently I was taking a long snooze between 1991-4 for the rest!
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 1:37 pm

There was a live action Swamp Thing TV show?
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 4:53 pm

Yep, just looked it up. It starred Dick Durock as the monster, the same guy from the two movies. There were three seasons not two, my memory was incorrect. It was on USA from July 27, 1990 – May 1, 1993. According to wikipedia it was one of USA's top rated shows.

Heck, according to wikipedia there is an Hourman series in development. There are already five total DC live action shows scheduled to be on the air next year. (Arrow, Constantine, Gotham, The Flash, and iZombie)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_series_based_on_DC_Comics

The Marvel live action list is much shorter, but the animated series list look about the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_series_based_on_Marvel_Comics
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 5:27 pm

Terry M (Ditko Fan) wrote:

Heck, according to wikipedia there is an Hourman series in development.
They have been using "Miraclo" all season on Arrow. They have been calling it "Mirakuru"

They used it to give Slade Wilson superpowers, and it was used as a substitute for Roy's drug problem.
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 12:33 pm

Joe Lee wrote:
... and it was used as a substitute for Roy's drug problem.

Which is so much more poignant than his real drug addiction, from back in the comics.  No 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...   My last SHIELD ep was finally OK... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My last SHIELD ep was finally OK...
Page 1 of 1