The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Batman: Odyssey

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

Batman: Odyssey  Empty
PostSubject: Batman: Odyssey    Batman: Odyssey  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 1:13 am

Batman: Odyssey  Odysse10

During my weekly scrounge at Half-Price books, I found a copy of Neal Adams' Batman: Odyssey. Easy sell. It was beautiful, cheap and controversial. Didn't everyone say this thing was awful? Was it awful. It's pretty wild I grant you and I've only read a little ways in, but this thing is insane. I love it. So far anyway, off to go read some more...
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
Lawson

PostSubject: Re: Batman: Odyssey    Batman: Odyssey  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 11:04 pm

I'd buy that one for five bucks, for the artwork alone.

The story -- holy cow, it looked insane. Smile

On a related note, I'm also a big fan of Half Price Books. It's a great source of cheap trades and graphic novels. You never know what you'll find. I've snapped up some gems. And it's a good place to unload old stuff, as well. When we bought a new house last year and moved, we sold many boxes of books and made a couple hundred bucks.

A lot of which we, uh, spent buying more books. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Batman: Odyssey    Batman: Odyssey  Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 1:07 am

A few weeks back i ran across a couple of hardcover archives, at HPB. Nemesis and Magicman. I had never heard of the characters but they looked like fun goofy old fashioned comics with guys in silly costumes, great fun. I love finding stuff like that, cheap!
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: Batman: Odyssey    Batman: Odyssey  Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 1:42 am

Nemesis and Magicman?! If those are the original ACG characters, I'm surprised they were actually collected in an edition. ACG is largely forgotten, but if you ever see a low priced collection of their flagship character, Herbie Popnecker aka The Fat Fury, snap it up, those are amazingly weird and funny stories.

Are they in color, Joe? I remember that all ACG titles when they had a scene set in the afterlife, which occurred a lot for some reason, the whole panel was just colored green, because that made it, y'know, spooky!
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Batman: Odyssey    Batman: Odyssey  Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Yep they had the Herbie archive too. Didn't pick it up, and haven't seen it since. I should grab one if it shows up again, those are good too?

They are full color and published by Dark Horse. They do a few archives, even Nexus, Solar, magnus, Schmoo, Turok, Green Lama by Mac Raboy...
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: Batman: Odyssey    Batman: Odyssey  Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 1:00 am

Makes me wish there was a Half Price Books in Tallahassee that's for sure. I'd pick up a Turok, Green Llama, maybe Magnus and Dr. Solar. I can at least check Amazon I guess.

I think that Herbie will have aged very well, but I can't be sure, it may just be that I'm equally aged with it. It has plenty of cameo appearances of famous people of the day like LBJ, the before Ali Cassius Clay. To me it makes the cosmic adventures of the 'fat little nothing' as his dear Dad calls him even wackier, but it could seem dated I imagine. The art by Ogden Whitney is definitely a treat, especially in scenes like where Herbie shows First Lady Jackie Kennedy what a real kiss is!
Back to top Go down
Lawson

PostSubject: Re: Batman: Odyssey    Batman: Odyssey  Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 10:19 am

edquinby001 wrote:
Makes me wish there was a Half Price Books in Tallahassee that's for sure.

It surprises me that so few used bookstores have much of a comics/trades section. I frequently haunt used bookstores, big and small, and if they have anything at all, it may be a single long-box of unwanted '90s Image crap stuffed in a back corner for $2 per comic.

But we know that a lot of people buy and sell used comics and trades.

When a bookstore like Half Price Books gets into that market, it can immediately fill several rows of shelves with comics and trades. At my local HPB, the comics/trades section is one of the busiest in the store -- and it has among the fastest turnover of inventory.

So if I own Bob's Used Books on Maple Street, why wouldn't I pursue that? confused
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Batman: Odyssey    Batman: Odyssey  Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 1:13 am

More great Half Price Books finds...

This week, I got a hard cover collection of Tony Millionaire's Maakies with Drinky Crow, designed by Chip Kidd, a Flex mentallo hard cover signed by Frank Quitely, and a TPB of howard chaykin's American Flagg, and a hard cover Tim Sale collection of his other Batman works

two were in the dollar section

i might start going to the HPB before my local comic shop, I'm getting some cool stuff
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: Batman: Odyssey    Batman: Odyssey  Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 1:57 pm

DAAY-UUMM!! Incredible bargains, Joe!
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Batman: Odyssey    Batman: Odyssey  Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Man i am falling in love with Tony Millionaire's art, this book is gorgeous.
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: Batman: Odyssey    Batman: Odyssey  Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 6:41 pm

Did I see that on adult swim?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Batman: Odyssey    Batman: Odyssey  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Batman: Odyssey
Page 1 of 1