The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Don Rosa on Disney

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Don Rosa on Disney Empty
PostSubject: Don Rosa on Disney   Don Rosa on Disney Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 9:57 am

Legendary comics creator, Don Rosa, who drew Disney’s Scrooge McDuck and Donald Duck comics for twenty years, has written an intriguing, sometimes sad, and very long explaination on why he quit creating comics. Detailing Disney's crappy work practices and his own struggles it' worth reading.

http://career-end.donrosa.de/
Back to top Go down
Peter Urkowitz

Peter Urkowitz

Don Rosa on Disney Empty
PostSubject: Re: Don Rosa on Disney   Don Rosa on Disney Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 2:02 pm

That was an excellent, heart-breaking read. Unbelievable that Disney hasn't improved their lousy work-for-hire policies after all these years. Don Rosa deserves much better treatment, although he's been extremely classy about it. The gratitude he expresses for being able to work on the Disney ducks, and for the fan reaction, is impressive to see.

Mark Evanier takes slight issue with Rosa concerning a few points about Carl Barks, but not with his central thesis:

http://www.newsfromme.com/2013/02/11/don-rosas-comics-and-stories/
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

Don Rosa on Disney Empty
PostSubject: Re: Don Rosa on Disney   Don Rosa on Disney Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 7:28 pm

Thanks for posting both of those, guys. Disney's system is certainly unfair, unjust and unappreciative of its employees. It's been that way probably since the company's inception and can only influence Marvel's policies for the worse. Still, I wouldn't have worried about Don Rosa in his retirement years except for his eyesight problems. Geez, what a horror story for anybody, much less a visual artist like him. With decent eyesight he could've taken on commissions from his fans worldwide as Carl Barks did and probably made as much or more than he did at Disney. It would've made for a comfortable and productive retirement. It sounds like he can still, with incredible effort, make some simpler larger drawings, but what he went through I wouldn't wish on anyone, well maybe the CEO for Disney...
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

Don Rosa on Disney Empty
PostSubject: Re: Don Rosa on Disney   Don Rosa on Disney Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 4:59 pm

I used Terry's post for this weeks blog. See what happens when you post stuff! affraid

Here's the editorial graphic I made for it too...

Don Rosa on Disney D%27JUCKROSA
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Don Rosa on Disney Empty
PostSubject: Re: Don Rosa on Disney   Don Rosa on Disney Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 5:36 pm

I never thought I'd be starting a career in the highly lucrative field of Journalism so late in life,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Don Rosa on Disney Empty
PostSubject: Re: Don Rosa on Disney   Don Rosa on Disney Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Don Rosa on Disney
Page 1 of 1