The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

We're gonna need to make more anthologies with all this Controversy!!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
J.M. Hunter

J.M. Hunter

We're gonna need to make more anthologies with all this Controversy!!! Empty
PostSubject: We're gonna need to make more anthologies with all this Controversy!!!   We're gonna need to make more anthologies with all this Controversy!!! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 11:11 pm

Allow me to link you for context: http://www.blastr.com/2013-2-1/marvel-and-dc-sue-small-publisher-over-using-word-superhero

Disgusting. I'm sorry but this chaps my half-black ass chaps!!!
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: We're gonna need to make more anthologies with all this Controversy!!!   We're gonna need to make more anthologies with all this Controversy!!! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 2:00 am

Oh yeah, years ago, the first time I heard about DC and Marvel claiming ownership to the word "superhero" it pissed me off.

That would have been like Paramount and Lucasfilm co-owning the word "Star"

Your right about the anthology too. We should widen it up a little. Instead of just deals with the devil, which can be one theme for some to focus on. Allow anything dealing with any comic publisher hypocrisy. The whole idea that thee guys publish heroic tales of characters fighting truth and Justice, and yet screw the creators right and left, the fact they claim ownership of the word "superhero" yet their "heroes" are now wifebeaters and murderers now.

many of their "superheroes" were created at other companies, NOT MARVEL or DC then bought by them. Shazam, Plastic Man, Blue Beetle Captain Atom, Night Man, Prime, and many others

Other creative people have been and/or are making actual superheroes, arguably better than Marvel or DC. Just off the top of my head... The Phantom, Unbreakable, Hero at Large, Mega Mind, The Incredibles, The Tick, TMNT, Hellboy, Madman, Invincible, Ben 10, Danny Phantom, Generator Rex, Savage Dragon, Rocketeer, Venture Brothers, Secret Saturdays, Heroes, Alphas, No Heroics, My Hero, Captain Planet, Greatest American Hero...
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
Peter Urkowitz

Peter Urkowitz

PostSubject: Re: We're gonna need to make more anthologies with all this Controversy!!!   We're gonna need to make more anthologies with all this Controversy!!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 11:45 pm

I wonder how this Irish indie film slipped under their radar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_a_Superhero

Maybe it's different for them if it's a movie, not a comic book? But considering how the movies are a bigger source of their income nowadays than the comics are, I don't see why that would be so.

The legal issues do seem fairly confounding, if what Ray Felix said was correct. DC and Marvel claim to have a trademark on the word in any foreign language too? Do they really WANT a trademark on the term "ubermensch"? Though I guess that's not really the right translation, now that i think about it. I dunno. Still seems like somebody with some money and good lawyers could actually build a solid case against DC and Marvel if they really wanted to.

On the other hand, using other terms, like "science hero" or "mystery hero" works pretty well in most cases. It's just specific cases like this one where you can see how Ray Felix wanted to use that particular term.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: We're gonna need to make more anthologies with all this Controversy!!!   We're gonna need to make more anthologies with all this Controversy!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 1:42 am

Peter Urkowitz wrote:
Do they really WANT a trademark on the term "ubermensch"?
Or Die Fledermaus, or Batmanuel? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We're gonna need to make more anthologies with all this Controversy!!!   We're gonna need to make more anthologies with all this Controversy!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

We're gonna need to make more anthologies with all this Controversy!!!
Page 1 of 1