The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NEW Star Trek trailer

Go down 
+3
Terry M (Ditko Fan)
edquinby001
Joe Lee
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

NEW Star Trek trailer Empty
PostSubject: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 2:01 pm

Japanese trailer...
http://www.examiner.com/video/japanese-trailer-for-star-trek-into-the-darkness-reveals-khan-ish-extra-scenes

Speculation and Spoilers...
Most of the speculation regarding what villain Cumberpatch is playing, seems to be settling on Gary Mitchell and/or Khan, with some people thinking this whole reboot is the origin of the "mirror" universe.

I'm thinking it may be neither. But I think it may be possible to narrow it down...

As much as I hope it's Gary Mitchell, many people are claiming it would be impossible? But Gary Mitchell, who was the antagonist in Where No Man Has Gone Before, Star Trek's second pilot episode, was a crew member on the Enterprise who along with one other crewmember, gain amazing powers. The whole crew was exposed to the same cosmic storm but only Mitchell takes to it so fast.

So it's reasonable to assume some other ship gets the Valiant's distress beacon and gets swept up in the storm, and one of their crew gets powers, and why not Gary Mitchell? Why couldn't he be on that other ship? And relatively ten years early, history is slightly askew right?

Why couldn't it be Khan?

The Botany Bay would have been on it's way long before the new timeline was created, so it's just as far out there, as before but the Enterprise is now years earlier and the Enterprise doesn't get that far until episode 22 in the original timeline. And what reason would Khan have for coming back? Aren't they in hiding with no idea how long they were in suspended animation? Maybe he goes through he cosmic storm and gets godlike powers is another theory bouncing around, but if the enterprise hits the cosmic storm in episode but doesn't reach the Botany Bay until 22, how could the Botany Bay find the storm first?

Look at what's floating around space as far as we know but some events are ten or so years away...

The Talosians, are attempting to repopulate their ravaged planet using humans breeding stock for a race of slaves.

A salt monster on planet M-113, probably not our villain

Charlie X is the sole survivor of a transport ship that crashed on the planet Thasus. Time-wise isn't it more likely that the Enterprises new path allows it to miss it's original episode 2 rescue mission a small cargo vessel called the Antares. Allowing Charlie X to take a different path to Earth, avoiding recapture by the Thasians? But given that the events of the new timeline are running much earlier, how old would Charlie be? Would his crash even have taken place yet?

Some cosmic storm that grants godlike powers to people like Mitchell but ten years earlier?

Somebody has to do the geological exploration of the planet Alpha 177. "the enemy within"

Harvey Mudd, could get into some trouble stumbling into something originally stumbled on by the Enterprise.

Dr. Roger Korby is waiting to be found on the icy planet of Exo III

Some other ship is making a supply runs to the planet Tantalus V, a rehabilitation colony for the criminally insane which is probably still under construction?

Balok tooling around testing people

Anton Karidian / Kodos may or may not exist. His origin is intertwined with Kirk's personal timeline. How would the events of Tarsus IV years earlier have played out here in this timeline?

Would a lone Romulan Bird of Prey equipped with a cloaking device be destroying Federation outposts in the neutral zone yet, too early, or would the current loss of Vucan speed this up?

Trelane is on his rogue planet drifting through space, anything could alter his path right?.

The Gorn massacre the Federation Cestus III Outpost isn't for years, or would this be sped up too somehow?

And The Botany Bay is drifting in space.

The Organians are living under Klingon rule possibly.

Lazarus the time traveler, is not insane yet but could his situation be altered by this timeline, could he be drawn to the time distortions?

maybe something from the second or third season could fit better
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 6:30 pm

Man, you know a lot of Star Trek, Joe! Those all seem equally likely candidates for a re-imagined Star Trek villain. Do we know that it will be a character from the original canon? I confess to being a little lost with the S.T. reboot. I understand the main difference is the destruction of Vulcan, but doesn't that mean everything in all S.T. series is up in the air now? Scotty, Spock and Sarek appeared in The Next Generation, Bones McCoy is pretty directly referenced. Did those things happen or are they yet to be written? I'm so confused!!!
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 12:06 pm

Nah, it's easy. Plus it's all just speculation.

The point of divergence is Kirk's birth. So anything already in motion before that, should theoretically still be in motion, like Khan and his group, lost in cryogenic sleep onboard the Botany Bay.

But since Kirk is now a starship Captain considerably even younger than before, the Botany Bay is probably a few years less far away, and most everything else that originally happened in the first season is still years away, or is at some earlier point in their development. Assuming they hadn't been changed by the new divergent events on Earth or later Vulcan.

For example, Trelane was a godlike fop on a wandering planet, theoretically since Kirk's life and Earth's events had no effect on him, he may still be wandering about just further away. Or maybe he's had a different life somehow set in motion by the new events, and is now an angry character hellbent on revenge? That would fit the trailer, and Cumberpatch could play the crap out of a childish, spoiled angry god.
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 2:51 pm

Yeah, that makes sense. However many thousands of Vulcans that survived their planet's destruction should certainly be a wild card in future Star Trek continuity, but it won't immediately affect everything and some things have their own timelines for the most part.

Benedict Cumberbatch will be great no matter the character, well as long as it's not Kirk's tormentor of his academy years-- Finnegan. That character would be anything but larger-than-life. We'll get more of his acting very soon too, I see he has two roles in The Hobbit, voice of Smaug and The Necromancer. I go to maybe two or three movies a year in theatres usually, but it looks like some really good ones in the near future.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 4:17 pm

Quote :
enedict Cumberbatch will be great no matter the character, well as long as it's not Kirk's tormentor of his academy years-- Finnegan
Oh waitaminit!

The guy from Shore Leave?

Yeah, theoretically his timeline is pretty screwed up.

My money is still Gary Mitchell, or Charlie X, even though the timeline doesn't fit either character perfectly. Maybe the villain could be somehow related to Pike not having visited the Talosians?
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 3:59 pm

Joe Lee wrote:
Lazarus the time traveler, is not insane yet but could his situation be altered by this timeline, could he be drawn to the time distortions?
I can't see them using this character when he isn't that well remembered or very interesting. I never liked that episode. There are so many better choices. When I first heard the rumor Cumberpatch was playing Khan, I thought it was just a good deception, he's obviously Charlie X.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 6:23 pm

They just revealed that Alice Eve is playing Carol Marcus, the molecular biologist working on the GENESIS project, in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan as the leader of “Project Genesis” and, oh, yeah, an old exflame of Kirk who gave birth to their son David. I thought for sure she would be Dr. Elizabeth Dehner, from "Where No Man Has Gone Before" the lesser god to play against Gary Mitchell.

If Kahn is in this film it will be a retelling of "Space Seed" and not the "Wrath of Khan." The Eugenics wars and Khan's escape, and the Botany Bay becoming adrift in space should be unaffected by the new timeline as it's escape from Earth happened well before Kirk's birth, and his father's death, where the new timeline begins.

Sure Kirk and crew could just find the escapees ship a few years earlier in the new timeline, but that seems sloppy to me, I'd like think there will be more to it than that. it could be a set up for a later events. Kirk and Carol originally getting together had nothing to do with Khan so it's possible he may not even be in the film. And even if Khan is in the film, it would have to be the revised new universe version of TOS episode "Space Seed" where Khan the Enterprise crew first meet, setting up the events for "Wrath of Khan" which happens many years later, long enough for Khan to have hated Kirk for some time, and long enough for Kirk's illegitimate son to grow to adult hood.

I'm sure they can make it work, but I'll bet they are building up for Khan being the villain in the third or fourth film, why play your big card if you don't have to?

My guess is the next two movies are already planned out, involving many elements from the original series but used differently as needed in the new timeline creating new combinations.

Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 4:55 pm

Some fun speculation I found online...

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012/12/15/more-theories-about-star-treks-unstoppable-force-of-terror/

But this next one has more more serious ideas, including Garth and some more substantive Gary Mitchell arguments. "Introduced in the second Star Trek: TOS pilot “Where No Man Has Gone Before,” Lt. Commander Gary Mitchell was a jovial helmsman on the Enterprise. While a cadet at Starfleet Academy, Gary became friends with an instructor Lt. James Kirk, evening introducing him to a “blonde lab technician”) whom the future captain “almost married” (fans have taken that to be a reference to Dr. Carol Marcus)." and given it's recently been revealed that Alice Eve is playing Carol Marcus eh? Makes more sense that Carol Marcus being in the film would tie up that Trek OS/Movie reference than it would signify Khan's appearance...

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012/12/14/six-suspects-for-the-true-identity-of-the-star-trek-into-darkness-villain/
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 3:39 pm

Damn it, you got me.

I disagree, I think the Carol Marcus character is an unintentional red herring. Not proof the villain is Mitchell or Khan.

Ever since Wrath of Khan came out fans have been connecting that scene from “Where No Man Has Gone Before,” to Carol Marcus. In the episode, Gary Mitchell admits to Kirk that he "Steered" a "blonde lab tech" his way to get the tyranical TA Kirk off his back.
Years, later in the Wrath of Khan, Carol Marcus, blonde super scientist lady shows up with Kirk's fully grown son. It fits nicely.

But that doesn't necessarily follow that Mitchell would the be the Villain. The events where Kirk meets the "blonde lab tech" happen years before Mitchell gets Godlike powers. Unless this is all a case of things happening differently, but the results remain the same. Which were the case in the first movie, but that happened largely due to the original timeline Spock, manipulating events.

Quote :
Lt. Mitchell: Hey, man, I remember you back at the Academy; a stack of books with legs! The only thing I ever heard from an upperclassman was, "Watch out for Lt. Kirk! In his class, you either think, or sink!"

Capt. Kirk: I wasn't THAT bad, was I?

Lt. Mitchell: If I hadn't aimed that little blond technician at you...

Capt. Kirk: You what? You... you PLANNED that?

Lt. Mitchell: Well, you wanted me to think, didn't you? I outlined her whole campaign for her!

Capt. Kirk: I almost MARRIED her!

Lt. Mitchell: You better be good to me. I'm getting even better ideas here.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Agreed. The presense of the Carol Marcus character in and of itself proves nothing, she may not even be a connection to the Gary Mitchell blonde tech.

Cumberpatch's character will probably turn out to be Harry Mudd, who in this darker universe is a thin terrorist instead of a fat smuggler. Harry Mudd could be an alias for John Harrison.
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 10:47 pm

Joe Lee wrote:
Cumberpatch's character will probably turn out to be Harry Mudd, who in this darker universe is a thin terrorist instead of a fat smuggler. Harry Mudd could be an alias for John Harrison.
Are you saying "Harcourt Fenton Mudd" could just be an alias or even his stripper name? No
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 3:18 am

Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 10:23 am

Damn.

All that great speculation and they went with the obvious, less interesting option.

Fascinating.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 12:24 am

Did you see it?

I saw it.
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 1:47 pm

I saw it. Despite the villain, I still enjoyed the film. It was a better film than the first, but it'll take a lot more than Alice Eve in her underwear to keep me from seeing all the plot holes. They went a little overboard with the Kirk/Spock role reversal. The Nimoy scene made no sense on multiple levels. The part where Kirk admits to (spoiler redacted) that he's done this once before, was a derivative attempt at trying to make light of a derivative scene concept. It was done better in Die Hard II when the Bruce Willis character says, "This is how I spent last Christmas." And why the hell were the so concerned about keeping (spoiler redacted) alive for a (spoiler redacted) sample when they had 72 other sources on hand for a (spoiler redacted) sample? And how many times will they take and give back command of the Enterprise? And why kill off (spoiler redacted) so easily in this film when you went out of your way to save him in the last one? (spoiler redacted) being a major player in this timeline was a wonderful illustration of how neither timeline was superior and that in some ways some people were better off.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 5:41 pm

affraid SPOILER affraid SPOILER affraid SPOILER affraid SPOILER affraid SPOILER affraid

I thought for sure that they wouldn't kill the guy off. I thought for sure that they would put him in one of those chairs with the three lights like he had in the original series.

Back to top Go down
kurt wilcken

kurt wilcken

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 9:08 pm

I think that "(Spoiler Redacted)" is going to be my new euphemism for representing cartoon profanity.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kurtoonsonline.com/
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 6:03 pm

affraid SPOILER affraid SPOILER affraid SPOILER affraid SPOILER affraid SPOILER affraid

WHY is the current reboot OK with an existing timeline with Vulcan being blown up?

The crew stole a starship in "ST3: The search for Spock," to save ONE Vulcan

In "ST4" the Crew risked time travel in a rickety ship, risked changing their own time-line, to build a big fish tank on that rickety Klingon ship to save the Earth, why wouldn't Kirk and crew time jump back to save an entire planet like Vulcan? This Universe is darker and more self involved. The grey dress uniforms look like Nazi's and they have huge stealth star-ships.

I swear we are seeing the birth of the Mirror Universe here.
Back to top Go down
Peter Urkowitz

Peter Urkowitz

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 12:07 am

It does seem like the technology is just picked and chosen for whatever effects the writers want at the moment. So, we have seen that time travel is very possible, but the federation don't seem to have figured out how to use it. And we need line of sight for some transporter rescues, but a backpack-sized transporter model can send a guy all the way across the galaxy.

But you know, none of that stuff really bothered me while watching the movie. I had a good time.
Back to top Go down
JamesCarter

JamesCarter

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 1:27 pm

My girlfriend and I saw this last week and both thought it was great. I'd like to see it again.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/gsawcomic
Dan the squatch

Dan the squatch

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:59 am

kurt wilcken wrote:
I think that "(Spoiler Redacted)" is going to be my new euphemism for representing cartoon profanity.
I like that too. It would look cool on a shirt.

SPOILER REDACTED
was his sled
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEW Star Trek trailer   NEW Star Trek trailer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NEW Star Trek trailer
Page 1 of 1