The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Agents of SHIELD

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

Agents of SHIELD Empty
PostSubject: Agents of SHIELD   Agents of SHIELD Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 10:53 am

Anyone watch the show?

I liked it.

It was better than the last one with Hasselhoff.

For some reason, it reminded me of Fox' Human Target. Which I hope doesn't mean it will be genial and fun, get quickly retooled by the second season and only last two seasons.

There were a good many references to the comics, especially Lola. There were a great many references to The Avengers and related movies, going so far as to mirror them in tone, enough so you felt you were in the same universe, which was obviously the intent, but also making the suits probably very happy. They went for jokes enough to make it qualify as a sitcom. (Which was probably targeting the Marvel movie audience.)

I hope they have more guest appearances by movie characters. Cobie Smulders is soon to be out of her day-job, so she might be back.

Will all that be enough to keep it on the air.
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
edquinby001

edquinby001

Agents of SHIELD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agents of SHIELD   Agents of SHIELD Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 4:00 pm

I liked it too, Joe, and I usually like Whedon's shows. They deliver a nice mix of comedy, drama, originality and attention to continuity/history. I was a little flustered by the identity of the character with near-invulnerable skin though. I'd already told the wife it was a reimagined Luke Cage. So, Joss Whedon busted me in front of the missus! Apparently a lot of people jumped to the same wrong conclusion. I'm wondering if SHIELD will have the ability to bring in any second rung Marvel heroes at all? They have already referenced them in the show and that helps to bridge the series with the Marvel movies and comics. If they can at least bring in some interesting Marvel villains, and they have a million of them, that should be sufficient. But, yeah, the show was definitely fun and Whedon usually improves his series post-pilot, so I expect an interesting ride with this one.
Back to top Go down
kurt wilcken

kurt wilcken

Agents of SHIELD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agents of SHIELD   Agents of SHIELD Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 1:11 pm

Ben Dunn, bless his heart, has been grousing (in a good-natured way, I hope) that the hovercar in Agents of SHIELD looks very similar to the modified red Corvette convertible he drew in an early issue of NINJA HIGH SCHOOL back in the '80s.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kurtoonsonline.com/
Chris W

Agents of SHIELD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agents of SHIELD   Agents of SHIELD Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

Agents of SHIELD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agents of SHIELD   Agents of SHIELD Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 1:52 am

kurt wilcken wrote:
Ben Dunn, bless his heart, has been grousing (in a good-natured way, I hope) that the hovercar in Agents of SHIELD looks very similar to the modified red Corvette convertible he drew in an early issue of NINJA HIGH SCHOOL back in the '80s.
Yeah, he must be kidding around. Wasnt the flying car in the first appearance of S.H.I.E.L.D in Strange Tales #135 (Aug. 1965)?
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

Agents of SHIELD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agents of SHIELD   Agents of SHIELD Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 6:19 pm

As The League's resident geezer, I am required to retrieve all things musty and dusty. Fury's flying car indeed made its initial appearance in the first 'Nick Fury, Agent of Shield' story cofeatured with Doc Strange in Strange Tales #135. You know your history, Joe, I think you have the makings of a geezer yourself! Fury used the car from time to time, Steranko gave it a sleek redesign, but to my knowledge, it was only cover featured on S.T. #144, so here is that image:

Agents of SHIELD F49q

It was pretty cool for the times, but always science-challenged Stan made it fly by four high powered 'jet fans'. Hard to imagine it would even clear the tree tops.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

Agents of SHIELD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agents of SHIELD   Agents of SHIELD Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 9:26 pm

edquinby001 wrote:

It was pretty cool for the times, but always science-challenged Stan made it fly by four high powered 'jet fans'. Hard to imagine it would even clear the tree tops.
Was it Lee or Kirby?
Back to top Go down
kurt wilcken

kurt wilcken

Agents of SHIELD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agents of SHIELD   Agents of SHIELD Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 11:02 pm

Well, that is A Flying Car, but to be techinical, I think Ian Fleming's Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang predated them both. And, out of fairness to Ben, the snazzy red convertible from AGENTS OF SHIELD does look a lot like the one he drew in NHS.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kurtoonsonline.com/
edquinby001

edquinby001

Agents of SHIELD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agents of SHIELD   Agents of SHIELD Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 2:57 pm

Johnny, I can name that tune in three notes! Oh, wrong game and wrong decade, sorry. I did find that
Disney's 'Son of Flubber' 1963 even predates 'Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang' 1968 for flying cars in movies, but
I'll bet even that isn't the first instance? Given that antecedents for flying vehicles, carts, coaches go back
through Jules Verne to, I guess, mythological times, it's not an entirely original idea. But, as far as the one
in Nick Fury, Agent of Shield being Stan or Jack's idea? Well, Joe, that is a good question! All I can say is
that following the first couple issues, Jack only did layouts. I think this was to stretch his legendary output
even further and to maintain some consistency with a variety of artists being used to finish the art. But, in
Kirby's case, 'layouts' often meant 2/3 of the plot, adding elements, lotsa stuff, so who knows?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Agents of SHIELD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agents of SHIELD   Agents of SHIELD Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Agents of SHIELD
Page 1 of 1