The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Joe Kubert, a titan

Go down 
+3
Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Alex Ness
Joe Lee
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

Joe Kubert, a titan Empty
PostSubject: Joe Kubert, a titan   Joe Kubert, a titan Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 4:07 am

Joe Kubert, a titan Joe-Kubert

I know Mr. Kubert passed a few weeks back, but I don't feel like I got a chance to really remember him properly, before getting sidetracked. If anyone else feels the same please join me.

As kid I always though of Kubert in the same light as Kirby and Ditko, Gil Kane, Gene Colon. I remember his Tarzan and Hawkman especially. It's only been recently that I've truly grew to appreciate his work, with DC reprinting many of the war comics in the Showcase line. To me his work, like many other artists, stands out all the better in these B&W reprints.

As I read these, I was struck by the similarities to Gil Kane and Gene Colon's work, effortless lines, and compositions seemingly full of light and shadow. So full of energy and substance, based more on life drawing and an understanding of anatomy, of observation and understanding. Not short-cuts, like they teach in those how-to-draw-comics books.

I think Enemy Ace is was my favorite.

Last edited by Joe Lee on Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
Alex Ness

Alex Ness

PostSubject: Re: Joe Kubert, a titan   Joe Kubert, a titan Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 4:24 am

For me it was the sense that he wanted to create, all the time. He was a skilled pencil artist, but, he never seemed, to me at least, to ever stop working.

I deeply respect that.
Back to top Go down
Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.

PostSubject: Re: Joe Kubert, a titan   Joe Kubert, a titan Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 4:43 am

My first experience with Joe Kubert's work was with the Tor character. A 4-issue mini-series that was published through Marvel's Epic Comics line.

Of course, I learned that this was not the characters' first appearance & I managed to acquire most of Mr. Kubert's past Tor works (still need St. John's issue #4, though).

I enjoyed Mr. Kubert's Sgt. Rock & Haunted Tank stories, but my favorite of his stuff was Hawkman.

I'm glad to learn that he was able to finish his final project with his son & the final 2 issued of Before Watchmen: Nite Owl will be published posthumously.

He will be missed.
Back to top Go down
Peter Urkowitz

Peter Urkowitz

PostSubject: Re: Joe Kubert, a titan   Joe Kubert, a titan Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 11:29 pm

A truly great artist, a master with brush and ink. His work on Hawkman, Tarzan, and his many DC covers were how I knew him first. Also, his inks over Infantino's pencils on the first Barry Allen Flash story, which I read in a big collected edition of DC origins stories in the 1970's.

I loved the way he made each panel feel like an integrated whole of words and pictures, carefully placing each word balloon to aid the overall composition. I loved the way he drew clothing, with real folds and shadows, and those old-fashioned hats. I loved the way he drew action, with so much movement and kinetic ease, based on solid masses and weights.

I'm grateful for the legacy of work he left behind, and for the generations of artists that he taught at his school, carrying on his tradition.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Joe Kubert, a titan   Joe Kubert, a titan Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 5:25 pm

Joe Kubert, a titan TotA

Joe Kubert’s Tarzan of the Apes: Artist’s Edition out in September
http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/2396
Back to top Go down
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Joe Kubert, a titan   Joe Kubert, a titan Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 10:40 pm

For me, it's how prolific he was as well as how well he drew. I know him mostly by reputation and legacy. As with Eisner's last years, I was always amazed at how much work he seemed to be doing right up to the end. Every time I went into a store, there was another issue of Sgt. Rock or graphic novel, or even pin-ups and covers. I always smile to see the Kubert cover and cartoons in PS Magazine.

Here's an interview about his work on the "Tales of the Green Berets" in the 60's.
http://matttauber.blogspot.com/2008/03/interview-with-joe-kubert-about-robin.html
Back to top Go down
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Joe Kubert, a titan   Joe Kubert, a titan Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 10:45 pm

I'm speculating that he must have been quite good behind the scenes, given DC's recent packaging of the war comics and "The Bible" (with Sheldon Mayer) in addition to his new comics. He even had the foresight to get back the rights to "Tor" which may not have remained continuously in print, but was more available to customers over decades than most from that era.
Back to top Go down
Peter Urkowitz

Peter Urkowitz

PostSubject: Re: Joe Kubert, a titan   Joe Kubert, a titan Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 6:38 pm

Some great stories about Kubert from Rick Veitch:

http://www.rickveitch.com/tag/joe-kubert/
Back to top Go down
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Joe Kubert, a titan   Joe Kubert, a titan Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 12:35 am

I see new issues of PS Magazine, but they don't give artist credits, and there isn't a "Joe Kubert" signature on the cover. I stare at them, hoping to find a hidden signature. The art looks similar - it didn't look much like Kubert to begin with - but it's still not the same.

Does anybody remember that ad in early-80s DC Comics, I don't remember who it was supporting (other than wounded veterans in general). Sgt. Rock did the opening and closing panel, and the rest featured wounded veterans, and the support they could get. One panel had actors re-enacting M*A*S*H scenes. I think Ed McMahon was in the final panel, saying that he'd been a member of [whatever was being advertised] for twenty years, and if you wanted to help, here was the address...
Back to top Go down
Ted Kilvington

Ted Kilvington

PostSubject: This ad?   Joe Kubert, a titan Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 2:22 pm

This ad?

Joe Kubert, a titan Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQx0rgDqHs2gFCguJcgzHvSwh_cKxTEOgHQEqnhzoWqQYvutPeUOg
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Joe Kubert, a titan   Joe Kubert, a titan Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 11:26 am

Alter Ego magazine does a very nice, whole issue tribute to Joe Kubert...

http://lxng.blogspot.com/2013/05/buy-these-now.html
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: Joe Kubert, a titan   Joe Kubert, a titan Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 9:57 am

After reading your review of the Comic Book Creator magazine, I went to check out the preview, and I was rootin' around the site and saw that Joe Kubert was the cover story for issue 2. They have a preview up already too.

http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=98_132&products_id=1094
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joe Kubert, a titan   Joe Kubert, a titan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Joe Kubert, a titan
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The League of Extremely Nostalgic :: in memorium-
Jump to: