The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns! The New Lobo

Go down 
+2
edquinby001
kurt wilcken
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kurt wilcken

kurt wilcken

The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns!  The New Lobo Empty
PostSubject: The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns! The New Lobo   The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns!  The New Lobo Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 1:22 pm

I put up a post on Alex's Poplitiko site about the latest aspect of The New 52 to bug me. Yeah, I'm a cranky old fanboy stuck in the past; but have you seen the New Bishonen Lobo?

He's Sparkly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kurtoonsonline.com/
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns! The New Lobo   The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns!  The New Lobo Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 3:22 pm

You're exactly right, Kurt. The Main Man is now a pretty, vaguely metrosexual-looking douf. Why even call him Lobo if he's not the same character, except out of creative laziness? Good article, and I would pay money to see a no-holds barred match between Grannie Goodness and the original Amanda Waller.
Back to top Go down
kurt wilcken

kurt wilcken

PostSubject: Re: The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns! The New Lobo   The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns!  The New Lobo Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 6:31 pm

It did happen in an issue of SUICIDE SQUAD in which one of the team members, secretly one of Granny Goodness's Female Furies, abducted once of Waller's nieces, who had been working as an intern at Task Force X, as a present for her Granny. Waller led a team to Apokolips and there fought Granny Goodness toe-to-toe.

(This was the classic episode in which Doctor Light died. The ghost which had been haunting him all these years goaded him into doing something heroic for once in his life. And he immediately got riddled with zap-gun fire)

Alas, even carrying a Big Freakin' Gun, Waller was outmatched. Granny is, after all, an Apokolipsian and can bench-press Kalibak without breaking a sweat, and Waller just a mortal, albeit a bad-ass one. But all things considered, Waller made a good showing for herself just running on rage and determination
Back to top Go down
http://www.kurtoonsonline.com/
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns! The New Lobo   The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns!  The New Lobo Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 6:52 pm

Good stuff! Suicide Squad was one of those titles I always heard good things about, but never tried, sounds like it was my loss.
Back to top Go down
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns! The New Lobo   The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns!  The New Lobo Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 7:23 pm

I only saw the picture once, but did anyone else get a whiff of that scene from the first issue of the 'Bo's first limited series? "I oughta waste yer skinny butt right now, four-eyes! Sellin' this rip-off garbage! Pissin' on the Man!"
Back to top Go down
Ted Kilvington

Ted Kilvington

PostSubject: Re: The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns! The New Lobo   The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns!  The New Lobo Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 9:20 pm

The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns!  The New Lobo 15870
Back to top Go down
Peter Urkowitz

Peter Urkowitz

PostSubject: Re: The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns! The New Lobo   The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns!  The New Lobo Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Hmm, I was all ready to blame the change on new designer Kenneth Rocafort, who also sexed up Starfire in her redesign, but I see from that linked CBR article that Rocafort came up with several other possible Lobo designs that were closer in spirit to the older Lobo. So I guess the writer and editor are more to blame.
Back to top Go down
hel Grotesk

hel Grotesk

PostSubject: Re: The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns! The New Lobo   The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns!  The New Lobo Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 12:49 pm

edquinby001 wrote:
You're exactly right, Kurt. The Main Man is now a pretty, vaguely metrosexual-looking douf. Why even call him Lobo if he's not the same character, except out of creative laziness?

Yeah, I agree. If it's mostly all new, why not start a new book. It's one thing when a character gets a revamp, like many did in the Silver Age. A character gets a sleeker costume, or a more modern take, or even a new kid takes up the mantle. But just keeping the name and jettisoning everything else is just lame. Didn't they do the same with Blue Beetle some years back. Changing the character from a Batman-pastiche o something of a bug themed Greatest American Hero?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns! The New Lobo   The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns!  The New Lobo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Cranky Old Comics Fan Returns! The New Lobo
Page 1 of 1