The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Weiner's Wiener misbehaves

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alex Ness

PostSubject: Weiner's Wiener misbehaves    Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:28 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/24/nyregion/allegations-surface-of-explicit-exchanges-by-weiner-after-his-resignation.html?smid=pl-share&_r=0

someone asked me if I would vote for Weiner knowing he sexted while being married.

The answer isn't possible because I don't think I'd vote for him regardless.

So let's take candidate x with no flaws who is sexting versus candidate y who doesn't. Does it matter? I guess then you have to consider whether the leadership will be hindered by the behavior.

I've no problem with the fact that leaders are human and make mistakes. Even big ones. I've no problem with people repeatedly making mistakes that affect no one else.

I am not sure sexting is one of the first or the second.

I guess if his wife forgave him it doesn't matter to me.
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: Weiner's Wiener misbehaves    Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:10 pm

I agree and disagree I suppose.

But I ask myself, what does this guy bring to the table that is worth all this humiliation? Why must he embarrass his wife, who is also a public figure, why would I want to vote for a guy who has no self-control? A guy who has humiliated his wife like this repeatedly. I feel sorry for her.

I think Elliot Spitzer and Mark Sanford handled things better. Sanford even went on to get married to his mistress. People could look on that as less an affair and more just a messy divorce and new marriage. The public has more or less forgiven Woody Allen for marrying his more or less daughter, for much the same reason, (but he keeps a low profile, and doesn't run for any government offices).

Unlike Weiner, at least Spitzer has a Bill Clinton-esque resume of political achievements so he at least has that. It balances or possibly eclipses his scandal. As long as he doesn't fall off the wagon.

All Weiner has going for him is a pretty bland record in congress with no achievements. The public has nothing to go by with him, but he engaged in behaviors that he knew full well would embarrass not only himself but his wife and family, and now we find he never really stopped. Why must he run for public office? Can't he get some other job, not so public while he works this out? Come back later with some achievements and some rehab, or a twelve step program for exhibitionists. If he want's to work in government there are plenty of jobs without so much limelight. rehabilitate his image. Maybe he should do some time making a difference outside the spotlight. Work behind the scenes for another candidate, or at the DNC or maybe some non-profit or some community organization, Planned Parenthood, Global warming, get a job at Clinton's Global Initiative (His wife worked for Hilary at State, and you'd think Bill could feel some pity for the guy, maybe help him out).
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: Weiner's Wiener misbehaves    Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:01 am

I don't know if Weiner had any significant political accomplishments before all this although he was well thought of in his district and was something of a liberal democrat golden boy. He figured to have a real future, at least some people who help mold those kind of futures thought so. The first time I ever heard of him was when he was a featured guest on The Daily Show. He and John Stuart had a sort of bromance going on there. Not surprising because they were very similar. Same political views and even demeanors, brash energetic sharp wits on the edge of smart aleckness. They love that stuff in New York ! Stuart completely turned his back on him with this scandal, I think he felt personally betrayed. So, he did have a shot at political success, but now, how do you come back from this? He's a joke and a sick joke at that with a name tailor made for zingers.

You're right, he should find work out of the public limelight and try to find satisfaction in it. I just don't think he can. In addition to his other addictions, he's addicted to the spotlight. I mean, he will have to do something for work I guess, but it will be a half-hearted effort if it doesn't offer him what politics did. I could definitely be wrong, but I think that well is poisoned permanently for him and, unfortunately maybe for his wife as well by association.
Back to top Go down
J.M. Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Weiner's Wiener misbehaves    Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:25 am

Bill Clinton rose from the ashes of Monica's vagina.

This too shall pass.
Back to top Go down
J.M. Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Weiner's Wiener misbehaves    Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:25 am

jocolor 
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: Weiner's Wiener misbehaves    Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:48 pm

So you're saying her cooch is pretty gritty? That is disturbing!
Back to top Go down
Peter Urkowitz

PostSubject: Re: Weiner's Wiener misbehaves    Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:06 pm

I heard somebody on the radio remarking that Weiner's scandals reflected poorly on the Clintons already (because of Huma Abedin working for Hillary, I guess?).  Seems a bit of a stretch, but I can't imagine either Bill or Hillary offering to make that association any closer in the minds of the public by offering jobs to either Mr. or Mrs. Weiner.

Bill Clinton has managed to remain remarkably scandal-free throughout Hillary's tenures as senator and Secy. of State.  I imagine one of the big questions hovering over a possible Hillary presidential candidacy is whether Bill could be trusted to maintain that record over the next twelve years or so.  He's done well for over a decade, which inspires a certain amount of confidence, though. Maybe even devoted horndogs can change.

Give Anthony Weiner a few more decades, and maybe there's even hope for him, too. But as far as this election cycle, I hope he's done. The sexting is just a symptom of a basically dishonest and out-of-control personality, and that's what makes him unfit for public office, not the sex part.
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: Weiner's Wiener misbehaves    Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:33 pm

edquinby001 wrote:
I don't know if Weiner had any significant political accomplishments before all this.

That's the main difference between Weiner and guys like Spitzer and Clinton. They both had accomplishments, where Weiner never sponsored or co-sponsored any legislation while he was in Congress. He was primarily known for being abrasive and uncooperative in congress and like you said, back home he was liked well enough and he seemed to be good friends with Jon Stewart when he was a guest on the Daily Show, before the scandal.

The other main difference was Clinton was attacked by what appeared to be unfair and over whelming ferocity, which helped to paint him as a victim.

Peter Urkowitz wrote:
I heard somebody on the radio remarking that Weiner's scandals reflected poorly on the Clintons already (because of Huma Abedin working for Hillary, I guess?). Seems a bit of a stretch, but I can't imagine either Bill or Hillary offering to make that association any closer in the minds of the public by offering jobs to either Mr. or Mrs. Weiner.

Bill Clinton has managed to remain remarkably scandal-free throughout Hillary's tenures as senator and Secy. of State. I imagine one of the big questions hovering over a possible Hillary presidential candidacy is whether Bill could be trusted to maintain that record over the next twelve years or so. He's done well for over a decade, which inspires a certain amount of confidence, though. Maybe even devoted horndogs can change.

Give Anthony Weiner a few more decades, and maybe there's even hope for him, too. But as far as this election cycle, I hope he's done. The sexting is just a symptom of a basically dishonest and out-of-control personality, and that's what makes him unfit for public office, not the sex part.
Absolutely! I totally agree, he needs to go away for a while. But he and his supporters see Weiner as a victim of a hypocritical media. I keep hearing on the net and radio is that Spitzer and Clinton even recently reelected Mark Sanford, actually had committed adultery, whereas Weiner never cheated on his wife, so the Weiner supporters cry "Foul!

But I think this is where the "That's between him and his wife" thing comes into play. It's not what you did, the severity of it, adultery is between the couple. Weiner embarrassed his wife and himself. Some call it making a mistake, but I think we all know what he did takes a conscious deliberate effort, just like adultery, it's not a mistake, he new it could embarrass himself, his wife and his family. It was a conscious choice to risk the embarrassment. And that part is the same as adulterers. People don't care about adultery itself, it's the fact that a politician who when elected, has special privileges and responsibilities. If he doesn't have the willpower to not act in ways that could publicly harm himself and his marriage, how can we trust him with matters of state and laws that govern our very lives.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Weiner's Wiener misbehaves    Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:30 pm

Oh please arent you being a bit dramatic?

Can someone please explain exactly what the guy did that was wrong here? He flirted with some women? Okay i admit sending pictures wasnt the brightest thing in the world, but it's a far cry from what Spitzer or Clinton did.

Whats next, someone gets too flirty with a store clerk or dental hygienist and they can forget ever running for office? Or heaven forbid, somehow your browser history gets hacked.

The place i get my haircut offers massages, (real certified ones not the happy ending kind), now personally i would feel awkward, despite the fact its perfectly legal, but in my mind it seems worse than cyber-sex.

There are way worse things s guy could do, like hookers or interns.
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: Weiner's Wiener misbehaves    Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:30 am

Have you seen any of the transcripts between Weiner and the objects of his affections ? heh, I almost wrote 'afflictions'. It wasn't flirting, it was sex-play. But really I could care less about that specifically, it's more that it reaches the point where the continued behavior shows a reckless out of control personality like Peter and Terry have described. You could draw a division between real and virtual sex, that if it is merely simulated in the digital realm, 'it doesn't count'. A lot of people don't make that distinction though. But again, sex seems more like a symptom here as has already been said.

More is coming out all the time. His campaign manager just dumped him. It turns out that he spent $45,000 of donated campaign funds to pay a private investigator to find out who hacked into his twitter account when this all started a couple years ago. Of course, he knew that he'd sent those pics. Talk about committing to the lie! Admittedly, his personality plays somewhat better in New york than elsewhere, but even they are realizing that they can do much better.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Weiner's Wiener misbehaves    Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:17 am

edquinby001 wrote:
...It turns out that he spent $45,000 of donated campaign funds to pay a private investigator to find out who hacked into his twitter account when this all started a couple years ago. Of course, he knew that he'd sent those pics. Talk about committing to the lie!
Yeah, ok yeah that sounds ethically challenged, if not illegal.

That has to be illegal.
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: Weiner's Wiener misbehaves    Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:43 pm

I don't know the legalities of that either. Politicians are pretty free to use money in superpacs in that they don't have to tell anyone how the money was used. Of course if it is discovered that funds have been used unethically then I guess everyone runs for cover. Remember when Stephen Colbert formed his own superpac this last Presidential election? He couldn't get over just how few restraints there were for them. My favorite part of that bit was when he ate a canned ham that wore glasses to resemble Carl Rove because when you consume someone's head you gain their knowledge!pale 
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Weiner's Wiener misbehaves    Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:21 am

Pissed that Weiner was getting all the perv press, Conan just did a bit called, "East Coast/West Coast, Municipal Government PERV-OFF"

They matched Weiner against Bob Filner...

Texted pics v Headlocks
2 women v 8 women
age 48 v 70
not droping out v demands city pays legal fees
Carlos Danger v Pedro Schlongsworth(think this was a joke)
pic of weiner's grey briefs v Filner headshot

Filner won
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: Weiner's Wiener misbehaves    Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:54 am

No doubt about it, it will be a tight race at this year's Skeevy Awards!
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: Weiner's Wiener misbehaves    Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:09 am

The guy seems to be getting pretty stressed out. Maybe instead of Mayor of NYC, Weiner should apply for asylum in Russia, I hear the paperwork is a breeze.
Back to top Go down
Alex Ness

PostSubject: Re: Weiner's Wiener misbehaves    Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:44 am

http:/www.ghettoradhot.com/wp/content/uploads/2013/02/ratchet-ness.jpg
Back to top Go down
xileatho

PostSubject: Re: Weiner's Wiener misbehaves    Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:02 pm

your link is broke
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weiner's Wiener misbehaves    

Back to top Go down