The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Odin's Ravens

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
edquinby001

edquinby001

Odin's Ravens Empty
PostSubject: Odin's Ravens   Odin's Ravens Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 6:47 pm

Odin's Ravens Sravens38

The estimable Mr. Ness and I are working on a book of poetry. Well fifty blood soaked poems by Alex depicting the Viking Age and I'm doing 12-14 drawings illustrating same. We are a little up in the air as far as what to do with it when finished though. We agree that it won't be the kind of thing that does well in comics shops, so putting it in Diamond Previews is useless. It seems a little thin, it'll run 50 pages, to try to market to a 'real' book publisher. We may even go the KickStarter route and see what happens. The above image, if I did that right, is a pretty typical page. Any ideas, gents, for its marketing, venues, scathing crits?
Back to top Go down
J.M. Hunter

J.M. Hunter

Odin's Ravens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odin's Ravens   Odin's Ravens Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 8:08 pm

Poetry magazines or calls for original written material, maybe a reader. Literary magazines. of course indie-a go go and kickstart too.
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

Odin's Ravens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odin's Ravens   Odin's Ravens Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 1:01 pm

If some or all the poems were just one entry in an anthology type magazine, that might cut into selling individual copies by mail and in person. That kind of 'after publication' sale is a good part of Alex' business, so that might not be a good fit. I do like how you say 'Of course Kickstarter & Indieagogo'! It seems like they are a good way of gauging demand, basically preselling some issues and can be used alongside any other selling/publishing campaign. I'm really leaning toward trying 'em out, thanks Hunter.
Back to top Go down
Peter Urkowitz

Peter Urkowitz

Odin's Ravens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odin's Ravens   Odin's Ravens Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 1:22 am

Beautiful work. No real help to offer in the marketing realm, sadly. Once upon a time you would just ask the local duke or marquis for his blessing, and all the courtiers would snap up copies as a matter of course, and you would be all set, being offered food and drink in all the fine salons of the land. No system since then has really made sense or been reliable, as far as I can tell. Good luck tho!
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

Odin's Ravens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odin's Ravens   Odin's Ravens Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 5:38 pm

Thanks, yes that's what we need, a rich patron! But, Ness is always mixing business and pleasure. No doubt he'd do the do with the Duchess and get us both doubly beheaded, you can't win!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Odin's Ravens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odin's Ravens   Odin's Ravens Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Odin's Ravens
Page 1 of 1