The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.

Go down 
+3
Lawson
edquinby001
J.M. Hunter
7 posters
AuthorMessage
J.M. Hunter

J.M. Hunter

Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Empty
PostSubject: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 2:10 pm

This will be for the feature/article so along with the Outhousers I'm asking our friends here at the League to list their top 5 favorite Steve Rude works here. If you have a link to the book/work in question or a link to the image feel free to also link that here as well.

Thanks in advance and have fun!

Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 6:43 pm

My favorite Rude works all come from Nexus, he and Mike Baron are an almost perfect team. What stand out for me are the later mini series:
Nexus, The Wages of Sin
Nexus, The Executioner's Song
Nexus, Alien Justice
Nexus, God Con
and for five, the original series, #1 to something like 60 which in a few ways has a single story arc. Several issues in the original run were not drawn by Rude. Now, those fill-in artists weren't bad or anything, they merely suffered by comparison to The Dude.
Back to top Go down
Lawson

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 8:33 pm

Ed's got the names of individual story arcs.

I'm not that good. I'd just say NEXUS and THE MOTH as creator-owned projects.

Also, in 1987, Rude drew a wonderful one-shot MR. MIRACLE special for DC, written by Mark Evanier, friend and former assistant to Jack Kirby. It's an overlooked gem. My understanding is that Rude wants to draw more Fourth World stuff for DC. I wish that would happen.
Back to top Go down
James Ritchey III

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 11:23 pm

Art-wise, I liked World's Finest--visually stunning. It was a treat to see the initial pencils when he came to town, not long before it came out. Gibbon's mediocre writing wasn't his fault.

Lurved Space Ghost, while I agreed much with Toth about his storytelling on Jonny Quest. Loved his Mr. Miracle, still haven't read Children of the Atom, but the pages I've seen were beautiful.

Hard to fault Nexus on writing or art. The '80's run after about 5 issues was kinda flawless, and it remains Baron's finest work across the board.
Back to top Go down
Lawson

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 10:18 am

James Ritchey III wrote:
Art-wise, I liked World's Finest--visually stunning. It was a treat to see the initial pencils when he came to town, not long before it came out. Gibbon's mediocre writing wasn't his fault.

I forgot that one! Yeah, I bought WORLD'S FINEST for five bucks at a used bookstore, and at that price, it was a steal for Steve Rude's artwork alone. Great fun to see Rude's interpretation of Superman and Batman and their supporting casts. Unfortunately, while I enjoy Dave Gibbons as an artist, his stories don't do anything for me.
Back to top Go down
James Ritchey III

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 11:16 am

Yup, agreed. I can look at Gibbon's art all day--but there are even oversaturated writers I like more. WF had good ideas, but no subtlety, with purposeless exposition and wasted opportunities--potential twists and turns that woulda made it clever.

He's not bad, he's just not good, and I'm into good.
Back to top Go down
Lawson

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 1:28 pm

On Free Comic Book Day last weekend, I checked a couple of our local comics shops for the new softcover NEXUS reprint series. They retail for $25 each -- not much cheaper on Amazon -- and I believe the first two volumes were released in the last year, with a third due out shortly.

Neither shop had 'em.

More surprising, though, neither retailer had heard of NEXUS or Steve Rude. One of them thought I was getting the name NEXUS wrong, and that I actually meant one of the X-Men titles.

Am I really so old that I'm looking for stuff that nobody in the comics shops has even heard of? This isn't some minor 1940s newspaper comic strip, this is a relatively popular indie series from the 1980s that ran for years.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 2:26 pm

Could the guy have just been screwing with you? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
Lawson

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 2:34 pm

Always a possibility, I guess ... but why screw with a potential customer looking to drop $25 in your store?
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 3:35 pm

No, I can believe that they weren't familiar with Nexus or even Steve Rude. Most LCS clerks are fans of all current pop culture, not necessarily students of the medium and its history, and 25 + years ago would definitely be history to them.
Back to top Go down
Lawson

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 4:14 pm

The regular NEXUS series ended in 1991. If you were born that year, you would be an adult now, old enough to drink, drive, get married, serve in the Army and all the rest.

So.

Yeah, my life is flying by. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 4:53 pm

Did he call you sir?
Back to top Go down
Lawson

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 6:17 pm

Yes, and then he asked me for a Werther's Original.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 11:30 am

It might not be just age, Nexus wasn't a Marvel or DC book. I'm sure that doesn't help.
Back to top Go down
Lawson

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 2:02 pm

Well, I thought any comics fanboy in the 1980s had at least a passing familiarity with some of that era's bigger indie comics, even if they didn't read 'em -- NEXUS, CEREBUS, JON SABLE FREELANCE, AMERICAN FLAGG, LOVE & ROCKETS, ZOT!.

But as I say above, the guys who run my local comics shops probably were not yet born.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 3:57 pm

How do you work in a comics shop and not know stuff? Sure I go to home depot, and nobody there who ever knows anything about tools or anything. But a comic shop? Does he not have internet access? No iPhone or iPad? Has this guy no curiosity?

I started reading comics in the 70's, hell I started reading in the '70's. And back then there were no comic shops or internet, I never even set foot into a comic store until college, But me and my friends we still somehow learned about stuff decades before our time.

If this guy works in a comic shop, in the information age and only knows about current books, it's willful ignorance.
Back to top Go down
Lawson

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 4:20 pm

I agree, but ... it's sort of like the superhero comic book artists who teach themselves to draw entirely by reading superhero comic books.

Ditto for the comic book writers who read little to nothing but comic books.

Should their worlds be larger? Sure.
Back to top Go down
James Ritchey III

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 8:50 pm

I've had a dozen people (who actually read Lama as well) tell me later that if I'd written Project Superpowers, it wouldn't have sucked. But to be good at writing comics is to be the proverbial 'one-eyed man in the Kingdom of the Blind'.

Nice compliment (oh, BOY--did I need some ego-stroking recently), but it makes me very, VERY sad for the future of literacy in comics. We all likely grew up reading good SF (at least) along with comics, I would imagine. Most of my friends and I did freakishly well in English, and I made 99% on the SAT in vocabulary.

As far as comic artists being self-taught goes, it's VERY horrifying that Th' Dude (who rose above his initial pure Gulacy/Steranko/Kirby influences to study people like Loomis and Magic Realism) almost lost his house a while back, while Liefield is a Millionaire.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 5:43 pm

Lawson wrote:
I agree, but ... it's sort of like the superhero comic book artists who teach themselves to draw entirely by reading superhero comic books.

Ditto for the comic book writers who read little to nothing but comic books....
Over-farming. Or farming the same soil until it's dead.
Back to top Go down
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 8:43 pm

How can people not like Gibbons' writing in "World's Finest"? Ok, it wasn't Alan Moore-level, but it was an incredibly fun story that managed to be both classic and contemporary. You got the sense that the Kane/Finger Batman was dealing with the Siegel/Shuster Superman with full recognition of the next 50 years of their history, and making Luthor and the Joker simultaneously fun, likeable and villainous.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.   Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Steve Rude Works as voted on by the League.
Page 1 of 1