The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anita Blake.

Go down 
+3
Joe Lee
Alex Ness
Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.

Anita Blake. Empty
PostSubject: Anita Blake.   Anita Blake. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 10:29 am

I acquired a complete collection of Laurel K. Hamilton's comic book adaptation of her Anita Blake character. 45 issues that apparently adapt the first 3 novels: Guilty Pleasures, The Laughing Corpse & Circus of the Damned.
I'm pretty much going into this blind as I have never read any of the novels, but from what I understand, Laurel Hamilton was directly involved with the comic book adaptation, so that's a positive selling point for me.
Now, being disgruntled by the sparkly-vampires as portrayed in the Twilight Gaga (apologies to the Lady!), I want to give this a go.
As far as vampires go, my favorite vampires are as portrayed in Brian Lumley's Necroscope novels. I certainly don't expect to see these types of vampires in Ms. Hamilton's series (but you never know!), but I hope this series will help wash the taste of sparkly-vampires out of my...eyes?
Perhaps after reading these adaptations I will try to find her prose novels.
Back to top Go down
Alex Ness

Alex Ness

Anita Blake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anita Blake.   Anita Blake. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 5:02 pm

I read the first few of the comics and, well, eh.

I think I wasn't the target audience however.

Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

Anita Blake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anita Blake.   Anita Blake. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 5:39 pm

If you want to get that "sparkly-vampire" taste out of your mouth, you should try True Blood.

We just started watching it and are almost done with season one, it's a pretty interesting show, started out a little slow and it has some flaws. But it's a much better interpretation of vampires. My wife started reading the books and she says those are pretty good too, but they are somewhat different from the show, they apparently take some liberties. But the show has a frequently naked Anna Paquin so there's that. It's crammed full of adult themes too, definitely not for the little ones.
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.

Anita Blake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anita Blake.   Anita Blake. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 8:23 pm

Is that the vampire show that Christopher Meloni went to after quitting from Law & Order: SVU? He's a good actor.
Back to top Go down
J.M. Hunter

J.M. Hunter

Anita Blake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anita Blake.   Anita Blake. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 8:48 pm

True Blood is a pretty nice show. There's a bit of slowness I think in SEason two revolving around Maryanne's arc but 5 seasons in and it's damn entertaining!

Back to top Go down
Peter Urkowitz

Peter Urkowitz

Anita Blake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anita Blake.   Anita Blake. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 12:34 am

Wait, Anita Blake and True Blood are related somehow? I haven't read or seen either, but i thought True Blood's main character was named Sookie Stackhouse, or something like that?
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

Anita Blake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anita Blake.   Anita Blake. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 1:45 am

J.M. Hunter wrote:
True Blood is a pretty nice show. There's a bit of slowness I think in SEason two revolving around Maryanne's arc but 5 seasons in and it's damn entertaining!

I thought season one was a wee bit slow, does it get worse?
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
J.M. Hunter

J.M. Hunter

Anita Blake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anita Blake.   Anita Blake. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 7:55 pm

Nah, it's gets much better imo.

Back to top Go down
alissa_g

alissa_g

Anita Blake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anita Blake.   Anita Blake. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 1:03 pm

I read The Laughing Corpse. It has a few cool moments, most of it is an endless stream of boring conversations, whining, and Anita pretending to be tough even as people save her from the bad guys. The novels are very poorly translated. Too much rambling dialogue and Anita pouting and posing. It just sort of oozes along, leaving a sticky trail of bickering and endless conversation, with the occasional spurt of action or zombie attacks... none of which last long enough. In fact, the endless dialogue slows everything to a crawl -- long dribbling pointless conversations that lead nowhere and accomplish nothing whatsoever. "Are you afraid of zombies?" "No." "You're afraid of zombies. You're phobic"), and the entire plot is overshadowed by Anita's boring internal musings ("I like this shirt. It hides the gun"). And it has a lot of unintentionally hilarious moments -- if a guy who looked like Jean-Claude (including poet shirt and thigh-high pirate boots) turned up in a red light district, he'd be handed motel keys from half a dozen dudes.
Back to top Go down
kurt wilcken

kurt wilcken

Anita Blake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anita Blake.   Anita Blake. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 9:59 am

My wife was a big fan of the early Anita Blake novels and also bought the Marvel adaptations when they came out in graphic novel form. From what I've heard, the early books in the series were quite good; but after about the fifth or sixth one the heroine's escalating powers and expanding harem of supernatural boy-toys became too Mary Sue-ish for many readers.

Personally, I prefer werewolves to vampires; but that's my personal taste.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kurtoonsonline.com/
alissa_g

alissa_g

Anita Blake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anita Blake.   Anita Blake. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 7:10 pm

I really liked the Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, remake of The Wolfman.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Anita Blake. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anita Blake.   Anita Blake. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anita Blake.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The League of Extremely Nostalgic :: comics, manga, graphic novels, etc.-
Jump to: