The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My novel in progress was read by

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Alex Ness

Alex Ness

My novel in progress was read by Empty
PostSubject: My novel in progress was read by   My novel in progress was read by Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 3:30 am

Chuck Dixon and he gave it the thumbs up and said it was "Vivid" and he said I am good with word economy and use.

But the thing is, I have decided to make it a short illustrated novella instead of a straight novel.

So it is good to know, and it is good to give me food for thought, as I continue writing.
Back to top Go down
J.M. Hunter

J.M. Hunter

PostSubject: Re: My novel in progress was read by   My novel in progress was read by Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 6:42 pm

What kind of artwork/illustrations?
Back to top Go down
Alex Ness

Alex Ness

PostSubject: Re: My novel in progress was read by   My novel in progress was read by Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 6:49 pm

At this point I am thinking water colors of the nature of Alan Lee did with Tolkien, something that is unique, that adds to the tone and mood of the book.
Back to top Go down
J.M. Hunter

J.M. Hunter

PostSubject: Re: My novel in progress was read by   My novel in progress was read by Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 7:04 pm

Alex Ness wrote:
At this point I am thinking water colors of the nature of Alan Lee did with Tolkien, something that is unique, that adds to the tone and mood of the book.

Nice.
Back to top Go down
Alex Ness

Alex Ness

PostSubject: Re: My novel in progress was read by   My novel in progress was read by Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 7:18 pm

It is too early at this point really to say I guess, I just know that the concept I have for the story wouldn't be improved much by more story, but would be by 20 or so paintings of such.

I am considering doing them myself as I was good at watercolors.
However I was good at watercolors 31 years ago. Every attempt I've made since would show me to be a liar.
Back to top Go down
J.M. Hunter

J.M. Hunter

PostSubject: Re: My novel in progress was read by   My novel in progress was read by Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 7:20 pm

Alex Ness wrote:
It is too early at this point really to say I guess, I just know that the concept I have for the story wouldn't be improved much by more story, but would be by 20 or so paintings of such.

I am considering doing them myself as I was good at watercolors.
However I was good at watercolors 31 years ago. Every attempt I've made since would show me to be a liar.

Try some out on a pack of sketch cards you can pick up at michaels or hobby lobby.

Start small, nothing ambitious and see what happens man. Remember some basics, to let the white of the canvase be your hi-lights etc.

I think you should give it a whirl.

At best, you re-discover an old flame, at worse, you maybe have thumbnails to help direct an artist you decide to work with maybe?
Back to top Go down
Alex Ness

Alex Ness

PostSubject: Re: My novel in progress was read by   My novel in progress was read by Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 7:25 pm

I think I want to finish my book first. I plan to do 25K words or so, or, more appropriately when the story is fully done. I chatted with Chuck about "How do I know when it is done" outside of when the publisher or editor says and he said "Alex you know word economy better in some ways than most so, you'll know" and that was very nice but, in a way, it also screws me because what he is saying is, you write short stories.

I don't altogether believe that stories write themselves. But I do know that Robert E. Howard, my writing hero didn't put a single thing in a story that didn't belong there, nor did my other hero, Ernest Hemingway. So I think I might do this, write it until it is done, and if it is too short for a book, be content in that it is a story, and start another.
Back to top Go down
J.M. Hunter

J.M. Hunter

PostSubject: Re: My novel in progress was read by   My novel in progress was read by Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 7:34 pm

Yea, Chuck Dixon gave you some good compliments man, congrats!
Back to top Go down
Alex Ness

Alex Ness

PostSubject: Re: My novel in progress was read by   My novel in progress was read by Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 7:40 pm

thanks amigo.
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: My novel in progress was read by   My novel in progress was read by Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 2:39 pm

Compliments from Chuck Dixon definitely falls into the Praise from Caesar category, I second Hunter's congrats. Over the years, he's written some of my favorite comics. I think he's underrated and should always be considered in that top tier of comics writers.

Found a script of his for Birds of Prey #41 online:
http://thedixonverse.com/blog/?p=1844
It's pretty experimental! Made to read in a sideways format and resemble an old adventure newspaper strip. He's even concise when it comes to directions for the artist & colorist, but it's all there. Good luck on this new project, Alex. You clear like one every ten days or so, you're prolific, man!
Back to top Go down
Alex Ness

Alex Ness

PostSubject: Re: My novel in progress was read by   My novel in progress was read by Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 3:36 pm

thank you Master Ed, your words are gold. Gold!
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: My novel in progress was read by   My novel in progress was read by Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Hah! You kill me, buddy!
Back to top Go down
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: My novel in progress was read by   My novel in progress was read by Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Alex Ness wrote:
I think I want to finish my book first. I plan to do 25K words or so, or, more appropriately when the story is fully done. I chatted with Chuck about "How do I know when it is done" outside of when the publisher or editor says and he said "Alex you know word economy better in some ways than most so, you'll know" and that was very nice but, in a way, it also screws me because what he is saying is, you write short stories.

I don't altogether believe that stories write themselves. But I do know that Robert E. Howard, my writing hero didn't put a single thing in a story that didn't belong there, nor did my other hero, Ernest Hemingway. So I think I might do this, write it until it is done, and if it is too short for a book, be content in that it is a story, and start another.

For whatever it's worth, my advice is to write until you reach 'the end.' End of the chapter, end of the story, whatever. You'll know when you've reached an end-point. And have an overarching plot that directs you towards and ending, so that you'll know when you get there. Not that you won't find a good ending otherwise, but it makes things simpler. "Four chapters left until the big fight, I'd better start figuring out how to set up the big fight" as a top-of-my-head-example. If you're into plotting things ahead of time, great, that's a damn good way of doing it. If you aren't, or if you let your characters write themselves (my prefered method) then at least know where you're sending your characters. You might have to invent new problems to get them there - 'suddenly background character B pulled out a gun' - but it will strengthen the overall story, and the ending.

Stories don't write themselves, but (God willing) they can sometimes be so easy that you as the writer honestly believe you would diminish the story to claim you had any part of it. And you can believe that even though you're the one sitting down to type thousands of words and revise them, correct them, etc. My favorite part of writing is when the characters I created decide to do things I'd wanted them to do all along, for reasons I can't hope to understand. And when I've finished writing and look back on it, it's a genuinely humbling experience. There's *no way* I could have thought of that! Fictional characters that live entirely inside my head were responsible, not me!!!
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: My novel in progress was read by   My novel in progress was read by Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 2:38 am

Threads like this always make me think of a metaphor I read once. It's not advice that Alex needs, he's taken many projects through to completion. Anyway, someone asked a writer, I forget who, how he can keep all the details of his novels which were exceptionally complicated in mind during the process of writing them. He said something like: I don't need to. The process is like driving from Boston to Atlanta at night on the Interstate. I don't need to see all the territory of the entire trip, just the part ahead that's in the headlights. Sure, this may be one of those things that sound more profound than they are, but even mantras work when you believe them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My novel in progress was read by   My novel in progress was read by Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My novel in progress was read by
Page 1 of 1