The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Doomed Slayers -- A Different Look at Gygaxian Dungeon Crawls

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kurt wilcken

kurt wilcken

Doomed Slayers -- A Different Look at Gygaxian Dungeon Crawls Empty
PostSubject: Doomed Slayers -- A Different Look at Gygaxian Dungeon Crawls   Doomed Slayers -- A Different Look at Gygaxian Dungeon Crawls Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 10:53 pm

Last year I illustrated a gaming suppliment titled Doomed Slayers. It's an interesting look at the traditional "Kill-The-Monster, Steal-His-Gold" Gygaxian fantasy RPG. The author, Jürgen Hubert, has tried to come up with a social framework in which going down into dungeons to kill monsters makes sense as a career option. He looks at the "Slayer" as a profession, with codes of ethical conduct, and a role to play in society.

Of course, I recommend it for the illustrations.

Doomed Slayers
Rodents of Unusual Size
You All Meet in a Tavern...
Paperwork
Back to top Go down
http://www.kurtoonsonline.com/
Peter Urkowitz

Peter Urkowitz

PostSubject: Re: Doomed Slayers -- A Different Look at Gygaxian Dungeon Crawls   Doomed Slayers -- A Different Look at Gygaxian Dungeon Crawls Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 11:22 pm

Wow, good stuff, Kurt!
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Doomed Slayers -- A Different Look at Gygaxian Dungeon Crawls   Doomed Slayers -- A Different Look at Gygaxian Dungeon Crawls Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 1:04 am

Awesome work! Great DA page too!

Your work reminds me a little of John Kovalic who illustrates the Munchkin games for Steve Jackson and a lot like earlier Phil Foglio who did the art for the Myth Adventures novels, and a lot of the D&D magazines. Great fun!

A long running sci-fi webstrip and pro rpg stuff? I think I want to be you when I grow up.

kurt wilcken wrote:
The author, Jürgen Hubert, has tried to come up with a social framework in which going down into dungeons to kill monsters makes sense as a career option. He looks at the "Slayer" as a profession, with codes of ethical conduct, and a role to play in society.
I'm working on book right now where that question is the central theme. I think we worked out a fun solution. I hope we did anyway. It has the virtue of being simple anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
kurt wilcken

kurt wilcken

PostSubject: Re: Doomed Slayers -- A Different Look at Gygaxian Dungeon Crawls   Doomed Slayers -- A Different Look at Gygaxian Dungeon Crawls Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 8:25 pm

Thanks for the kind words.

Joe Lee wrote:
Awesome work! Great DA page too!

Your work reminds me .. a lot like earlier Phil Foglio who did the art for the Myth Adventures novels, and a lot of the D&D magazines. Great fun!

You are not the first to make that observation.

Joe Lee wrote:
A long running sci-fi webstrip and pro rpg stuff? I think I want to be you when I grow up.

Now if only I could figure out a way to make them generate money...
Back to top Go down
http://www.kurtoonsonline.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doomed Slayers -- A Different Look at Gygaxian Dungeon Crawls   Doomed Slayers -- A Different Look at Gygaxian Dungeon Crawls Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Doomed Slayers -- A Different Look at Gygaxian Dungeon Crawls
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The League of Extremely Nostalgic :: old school-
Jump to: