The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Read The Black Beetle!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

Read The Black Beetle! Empty
PostSubject: Read The Black Beetle!   Read The Black Beetle! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 2:29 am

Read The Black Beetle! Comics_black_beetle_o
I just read The Black Beetle #0, wow what a fantastic comic, great fun! Its a retro pulp style book, a creator owned book published by Dark Horse, that is beautifully designed and drawn. It really is gorgeous, even the inside cover and letters page are well crafted, also included are some retro-style promotional posters and ads. Anyone else getting this book?

I've been a fan of Francesco Francavilla's "Pulp Subday" blog for a while. Check it out...

http://pulpsunday.blogspot.com
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
Peter Urkowitz

Peter Urkowitz

PostSubject: Re: Read The Black Beetle!   Read The Black Beetle! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 10:31 pm

Looks good! I like Francavilla's art style. Sorta reminds me of Toth, or Jordi Bernet. Maybe he's trying for that effect, since his signature in a rounded rectangle is probably an homage to both of them.

I think he did some Archie covers recently? I didn't buy them, but I was tempted!
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Read The Black Beetle!   Read The Black Beetle! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 12:06 am

Peter Urkowitz wrote:
I think he did some Archie covers recently? I didn't buy them, but I was tempted!
He's been doing covers for Dynamite's Spider too. Gorgeous stuff.

I have both Black Beetle 1&2 next in my pile, got a little backed up on my comics with two weeks off and then this cold turned plague hing I have
Back to top Go down
J.M. Hunter

J.M. Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Read The Black Beetle!   Read The Black Beetle! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 5:55 pm

This looks like something I'd be interested in getting. I dig the art style, hell I'm tempted to compare it to some of my older stuff....been wondering about a new direction to head into as well.

I just want good solid reads.
Back to top Go down
Guydc3

Guydc3

PostSubject: Re: Read The Black Beetle!   Read The Black Beetle! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 3:33 pm

I've been a fan of his Pulp Sunday blog for awhile as well. Glad other people are digging this book. It's already on my pull list.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Read The Black Beetle!   Read The Black Beetle! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 2:13 am

Just read #2, with a great costumed villain, and some fun sewer rats

Reading this comic is better than an advanced art class in page composition and lighting, hand generating type, and kick ass moody inking. I love his two page spreads. But I did notice a slight error, maybe, let me know if I'm just seeing things. NOT TOO SPOILERY: On the two page spread in issue #2 with the three guards above the Black Beetle on the rocks in the foreground escaping or attempting to escape from them. Follow the line of fire from the guards. To me it looks like they are firing way above the Beetles head, am I wrong?
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: Read The Black Beetle!   Read The Black Beetle! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 6:53 pm

The Black Beetle #1 is now listed for free at Dark Horse Digital:
https://digital.darkhorse.com/free/
along with a LOT of great stuff. It's part of their anniversary promotion, so not sure how long it may last.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Read The Black Beetle!   Read The Black Beetle! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Cool. And damn there sure are a lot of free comics there.

Maybe there is something wrong with me or maybe it's because I work on a computer a great deal, but when it comes to relaxing and reading I don't want to do it on a computer screen. Twelve to fourteen hours is enough. I love comics and novels on printed paper, it's like changing out of you work clothes.

It's great for traveling, it's nice carrying one or two devices on a plane, loaded with movies and books, but it was just as easy to have a copy of an old paperback in my shorts cargo pocket too.
Back to top Go down
edquinby001

edquinby001

PostSubject: Re: Read The Black Beetle!   Read The Black Beetle! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 1:03 am

Totally agree with you on that. Sheer enjoyment of the reading experience with paper is far better than digital, but slowly digital is catching up-- or maybe I'm changing? Has anyone tried comics on a Kindle Fire or other digital device which tries to simulate a paper reading experience as closely as possible?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Read The Black Beetle!   Read The Black Beetle! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Read The Black Beetle!
Page 1 of 1