The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

DC Loses Right To 'The Spirit'

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JamesCarter

PostSubject: DC Loses Right To 'The Spirit'   Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:26 pm

Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/gsawcomic
Alex Ness

PostSubject: Re: DC Loses Right To 'The Spirit'   Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:36 am

They, in my opinion, didn't really do much with them anyway.

I could see a lot of anthology style books working with these kind of characters.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin

PostSubject: Re: DC Loses Right To 'The Spirit'   Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:00 am

I hope Dynamite picks up Doc Savage and The Avenger. They have been doing really well with many other pulp characters.

I would love to see IDW get ahold of The Spirit, they have done really well with The Rocketeer and Popeye. They could produce a really nice authentic Spirit book.

From what i've read it sounds like DC didn't lose them so much as let them go, because some suits at Time Warner couldn't justify spending money on licensing characters when they own tons of characters not being used. Even if other publishers make a go of it, DC will probably be better off anyway since they didnt know what to do with them, and were not really bothering to try.

Either way DC can't blame it on the characters or the readers, Dynamite is doing great with a lot of old classics like The Shadow, The Spider, Green Hornet, Lone Ranger, etc..., to be fair, I gotta imagine the expecations at Dynamite are probably lower financially, without the shareholders and all the VP salaries.

I wonder if it's just corporate cost cutting in general? Belt tightening?
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
Peter Urkowitz

PostSubject: Re: DC Loses Right To 'The Spirit'   Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Like everybody else, i liked Cooke's Spirit well enough, and the post-Cooke issues were okay too, though not mind-blowing.

Interesting that DC will still publish the Spirit Archives. Those are always nicely done, although a bit pricey for me. I think DC had published some of Eisner's other books (like A Contract With God) once upon a time, but it appears that most of those are now in print from W.W. Norton.

I can't say that the other characters matter much to me. Good for any publisher that can make a go of them.

Back to top Go down
Peter Urkowitz

PostSubject: Re: DC Loses Right To 'The Spirit'   Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Good point, Joe, that DC's overhead costs may just be too high for them to care about these older characters.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin

PostSubject: Re: DC Loses Right To 'The Spirit'   Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:05 pm

Peter Urkowitz wrote:
Good point, Joe, that DC's overhead costs may just be too high for them to care about these older characters.
From what I read It may be that any cost is too much, when presented with the fact that their are hundreds of characters not currently being used by DC that they own outright, and the suits in question couldn't see the point of licensing any nostalgic old characters like Doc Savage and the Spirit.

DC has a handful of Spirit-like characters, so why pay for The Spirit? DC can use The golden age Sandman, The Crimson Avenger, Midnight, or the Question for Free. (haven't they been using Crimson Avenger in JSA?)

In fact, Midnight was part of the "Quality Comics" pantheon, and was originally intended as a simple replacement for Will Eisner's The Spirit while Eisner was at war, but took on its own life in later stories. Created for Quality Comics by Jack Cole, DC already owns Midnight and can use him for free.

Of course if DC started a real kick-ass retro pulp style Crimson Avenger comic, I wonder if it would do better than Dynamite's Shadow comics? Would it matter that it was coming from DC and wasn't the Shadow?
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
Terry M (Ditko Fan)

PostSubject: Re: DC Loses Right To 'The Spirit'   Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:52 pm

JamesCarter wrote:
Also Doc Savage and The Avenger...

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/12/18/dc-comics-loses-rights-to-the-spirit-doc-savage-the-avenger/
Had DC done anything with the Avenger recently? I saw they tried a Doc Savage team-up book was it First Wave I think. And the Spirit they made a decent effort with. That should have worked. If IDW can do well with both new and reprint Popeye comics, how can DC not do well with a classic character like the Spirit.
Back to top Go down
Peter Urkowitz

PostSubject: Re: DC Loses Right To 'The Spirit'   Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:36 am

The thing is that "doing well" at IDW might mean 20,000 copies or less, which means "losing our shirts" at DC.

It is an interesting question as to whether the various analogue characters are worth as much as the originals. There may be some actual or perceived value in just a name like "The Spirit." Even if the movie bombed, at least it has some name recognition in the marketplace that "Midnight" does not have.

That may be a difficulty for DC, in that they have these characters, but little real creative motivation to do anything with them. They mostly have profit motivations. Now if they had a newer, younger Alan Moore, with a real story to tell, and an interest in using "Midnight," AND not too much interest in keeping the copyright to his own story, THEN that would be something DC might jump on.

But hopefully, most of the young Alan Moores have gotten a little wiser over the years, and are producing their own stories for themselves.
Back to top Go down
Peter Urkowitz

PostSubject: Re: DC Loses Right To 'The Spirit'   Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:52 am

Back in the day, Michael T. Gilbert (of Mr. Monster fame) did his own funny-animal version of the Spirit, called The Wraith. It was a brilliant little series, full of craft and heart. Of course, it was small-press, and sold poorly. But that's the kind of personal creative project that rarely gets made at the Big Two. When lightning does strike, it is usually that kind of personal project, like TMNT, or Hellboy. DC would love to bottle that lightning, but it is devilishly difficult to do!
Back to top Go down
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: DC Loses Right To 'The Spirit'   Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:02 am

Well if DC has the Spirit Archives, they have everything that matters. It's not like anybody's going to do anything important with the character. If someone else wants to produce new stories, it's not going to hurt Gerhardt Schnobble, Sand Seref, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DC Loses Right To 'The Spirit'   

Back to top Go down

DC Loses Right To 'The Spirit'
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1