The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Children's computer animation--- finally not sucking?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DavidRecine

Children's computer animation--- finally not sucking? Empty
PostSubject: Children's computer animation--- finally not sucking?   Children's computer animation--- finally not sucking? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 2:06 am

I guess my thread title is a little incendiary--- I've liked a lot of the STORIES Pixar and Dreamworks have put out in computer animated form, but have found the visuals to be sterile and kind of cookie cutter (would that Kung-Fu Panda had been ballsy enough to do the whole film in the quirky style of the opening sequence). But in recent years I've been noticing a rash of computer animated children's cartoons --- usually from other countries--- that have a real charm to them. For me, they capture the hybrid innocence/weirdness that made me love a lot of 2D animated shorts from my childhood.

Has anyone seen Pocoyo before? Good sample at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxu3jfqpItE

The simple character design, pantomime-driven plot and stark white (lack of) background give Pocoyo a really unique vibe, and a kind of dream-like sense of wonder I've felt in drawn animation, but haven't quite been feeling in American theatrical offerings for cartoon animation.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? What are some good computer animated shows or movies that break the Pixar mold, and do their own thing in a new, beautiful way?

Back to top Go down
Peter Urkowitz

Peter Urkowitz

Children's computer animation--- finally not sucking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Children's computer animation--- finally not sucking?   Children's computer animation--- finally not sucking? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 10:31 pm

Pocoyo seems pretty good for a kids show, yes. My kids are way past that age so I don't have to sit through any of them anymore, but back in the day, Blue's Clues had a similar vibe, using computer animation that looked like 2-D collages.
Back to top Go down

Children's computer animation--- finally not sucking?
Page 1 of 1