The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Recent Animated Films

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JamesCarter

JamesCarter

Recent Animated Films Empty
PostSubject: Recent Animated Films   Recent Animated Films Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 12:30 am

Recently I saw both Hotel Transylvania and Wreck-It Ralph.

Hotel Transylvania was pretty funny, although I didn't like the poop jokes which kept popping up for the first 3rd of the film. Adam Sandler wasn't a writer for the film, but that was his influence, no doubt. The final scene brings all the characters together to do what can only be described as a "really awkward" rap number. I was practically squirming in my seat because the entire scene was so terrible. The story was good though, and I enjoyed a lot of the characters, especially Steve Buscemi as The Wolfman. Like most Dreamworks films though, Hotel Transylvania will date horribly and be nothing more than curious oddity of the dollar bin in five years time.

Disney's Wreck-It Ralph was very good and honestly seemed like more of a Pixar film than Pixar's actual film of 2012, Brave. I was kind of disappointed that the majority of the movie took place within one singular game world, I had hoped/assumed that Ralph's adventure would lead him through a good variety of different video games. It was very cool to see actual video game characters appear on screen though, all be it briefly. Jane Lynch is always a treat and a lot of the small details were very clever. I'm hoping for a sequel where we get to explore a wider range of game worlds.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/gsawcomic
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Recent Animated Films   Recent Animated Films Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 1:28 am

You didn't like Brave?
Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
JamesCarter

JamesCarter

PostSubject: Re: Recent Animated Films   Recent Animated Films Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 1:58 am

I liked it, but I definitely didn't feel it lived up the standard of a Pixar film. Or I should say, a Pixar original (Cars 2 being awful). It was still a good film in and of itself.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Recent Animated Films   Recent Animated Films Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 2:10 am

I really enjoyed Brave, and my wife loved it. But then i liked Up and Megamind
Back to top Go down
JamesCarter

JamesCarter

PostSubject: Re: Recent Animated Films   Recent Animated Films Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 5:46 am

Up is an incredible film. That's the kind of quality I expect from Pixar, heartfelt, stunning, adventurous, memorable. Characters you care about within the first five minutes of meeting them. Excitement, uncertainty. Up is a particularly good example of what Pixar are capable of though, but most of their films still embody that sense of heart to some degree. Brave, I felt, had some of those qualities, but not enough. It wasn't a forced cash grab like Cars 2, Brave did genuinely try and it has to be commended for it's originality. Like I said, I did like Brave and as a stand alone film it's really a good one, but when compared to the majority of Pixar's output it fell short (in my opinion).

Which, to round things out, is why I say Wreck-It Ralph felt more like a Pixar film than Brave did. It had more of those wonderful aspects to it that make up films like Up, Toy Story, Wall E, Finding Nemo and so on.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: Recent Animated Films   Recent Animated Films Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 5:02 am

Maybe when I see it again, who knows. I really liked it. I liked How to train your Dragon too, but wasn't all that impressed with it, it seemed to be missing a richness, that to me, Brave seemed to have, and went way beyond. And I liked that it made a point of not being about getting the girl married off, as the happy ending. It was like a classic Disney with a modern sensibility, like Tangled.

Up, I thought was pretty daring. That whole first act, what was it half hour? That was a pretty gutzy thing. Can you imagine the suits sitting there and going along with that without objection? It seemed so unexpected.

I liked Despicable Me, pretty well too. Telling the story from the villain's point of view with no hero, then a third act conversion, yeah very grinchy I know, but they did it so well. And a world populated with Bond villains seems so deliciously cool. Then they had to go and do the Lorax. What a bunch of crap that was. I would love to see someone do an animated version of "Soon I will be Invincible" by Austin Grossman. When I read it I heard the lead character in my head as the Monarch from The Venture Brothers.

Looking forward to Wreck-It Ralph
Back to top Go down
JamesCarter

JamesCarter

PostSubject: Re: Recent Animated Films   Recent Animated Films Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 4:40 am

Astonishingly the montage from the beginning of Up which tells the old man's life story was just barely ten minutes. Pixar have been praised as having written a better love story in those ten minutes than Stephanie Meyer managed to do in the entire Twilight saga Very Happy

I haven't seen The Lorax, but I like the others you mentioned as well. In particular I really enjoyed Tangled, due my girlfriend's love for all thing Disney I saw it twice in theaters and it was great both times.
Back to top Go down
Peter Urkowitz

Peter Urkowitz

PostSubject: Re: Recent Animated Films   Recent Animated Films Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 1:54 am

The last animated movie I saw was last year's Tintin movie. It was okay but not great. But I'm a huge fan of the comics, so any adaptation was going to be a tough sell for me. I appreciated the big set-pieces, like where they go leaping and flying through a mid-eastern bazaar. And they did as well as they could on bringing the characters to life, I guess. But it just couldn't match the way the comics read in my head.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recent Animated Films   Recent Animated Films Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recent Animated Films
Page 1 of 1