The League of Extremely Nostalgic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League of Extremely Nostalgic

Welcome to the League! Speak GEEK and enter!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I'm happy and productive...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

I'm happy and productive... Empty
PostSubject: I'm happy and productive...   I'm happy and productive... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 10:29 am

Back to top Go down
http://gregjollydesign.blogspot.com/
J.M. Hunter

J.M. Hunter

PostSubject: Re: I'm happy and productive...   I'm happy and productive... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 5:57 pm

I honestly would love to work out of my home. Joe, I've always wondered how you accomplish it. What your routine and schedule is like. I've mention your name a few times to the wife.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: I'm happy and productive...   I'm happy and productive... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 4:40 pm

J.M. Hunter wrote:
I've always wondered how you accomplish it. What your routine and schedule is like. I've mention your name a few times to the wife.
It's not easy. I'm trying to get into a regular routine again. That's what the morning warm-ups and tutorials are for. Wake up, walk dog, work out, draw...

Working from home has good and bad points.

I spend all day with my dog.

Client meetings suck. Most I do over the phone whenever possible. Big clients prefer to have meetings at their offices so thats cool. Ones who insist they want to meet at my office, I try to reschedule them at their office at a later date, or at some quiet off-site place like a diner, or coffee shop. Very few people will I let come here. Many reasons, it's my home, and usually if a client wants to be at your workplace they want to co-pilot a job. (Y'know, sit behind you and watch/help/back-seat-drive). I hate that.

When I am at my most productive, I don't see other people for days. No

You already save time on the commute, or working in your pjs. But you can make up time when you need to by cutting out needless time wasting crap like eating, changing clothes, showering shaving, sleeping

My biggest problems are interruptions, several little ones in a row or people taking advantage of my "flexible" schedule to use 9-5 time for errands or chores. Vet visits, airport runs, grocery shopping, working on the house, plumbing, yard work etc. all can be welcome breaks too. But if you lose an hour or two in an afternoon driving someone to the airport, where does that time come from?

Back to top Go down
Guydc3

Guydc3

PostSubject: Re: I'm happy and productive...   I'm happy and productive... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 8:01 pm

Sounds like my day Joe. I work from home as well.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: I'm happy and productive...   I'm happy and productive... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 8:18 pm

How long have you been at it? I've been freelance for over six years, and I'm still trying to get the hang of it.
Back to top Go down
Guydc3

Guydc3

PostSubject: Re: I'm happy and productive...   I'm happy and productive... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 8:21 pm

Joe Lee wrote:
How long have you been at it? I've been freelance for over six years, and I'm still trying to get the hang of it.

About five years now. I think it will always be a constant adjustment. Especially getting everyone to understand that flexible hours doesn't mean you want to make up lost time at midnight. I try to structure my day, usually around calls or GoToMeetings. I have deadlines usually ( I do SEO). On the days that I'm kind of flying free, it gets harder especially if I'm just too comfortable or not feeling work.
Back to top Go down
J.M. Hunter

J.M. Hunter

PostSubject: Re: I'm happy and productive...   I'm happy and productive... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 8:23 pm

What's SEO?

How do I get in on this?!
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: I'm happy and productive...   I'm happy and productive... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 8:51 pm

Search Engine Optimization
Back to top Go down
J.M. Hunter

J.M. Hunter

PostSubject: Re: I'm happy and productive...   I'm happy and productive... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 8:53 pm

Oh like meta tags and stuff?
Back to top Go down
Guydc3

Guydc3

PostSubject: Re: I'm happy and productive...   I'm happy and productive... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 9:00 pm

J.M. Hunter wrote:
What's SEO?

I manipulate The Googles. haha Search Engine Optimization. I work with websites to increase their rankings organically. Meaning without paying. Well sometimes through paying a little. Through social media, content creation, adding assorted tech wizadry to master the online universe. Maybe not the last part.
Back to top Go down
Guydc3

Guydc3

PostSubject: Re: I'm happy and productive...   I'm happy and productive... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 9:01 pm

J.M. Hunter wrote:
Oh like meta tags and stuff?

Yep. And wizadry. Don't forget the wizadry.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: I'm happy and productive...   I'm happy and productive... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 9:08 pm

[quote="Guydc3"]
Joe Lee wrote:
On the days that I'm kind of flying free, it gets harder especially if I'm just too comfortable or not feeling work.
Oh yeah!

For me if i get a big new project around the house too.

Some days i really miss the structure of working at a place. I didn't just do graphic design i was a production manager at a place that did programs for operas, orchestras, the Browns, the pro football hall of fame, stuff with serious deadlines. I think i got addicted to the stressand structure.
Back to top Go down
J.M. Hunter

J.M. Hunter

PostSubject: Re: I'm happy and productive...   I'm happy and productive... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Guydc3 wrote:
J.M. Hunter wrote:
What's SEO?

I manipulate The Googles. haha Search Engine Optimization. I work with websites to increase their rankings organically. Meaning without paying. Well sometimes through paying a little. Through social media, content creation, adding assorted tech wizadry to master the online universe. Maybe not the last part.

Hmm...mebbe we can use those talents of yours towards our anthology efforts? BAM Too years in the making, (literally!) is gonna need that promo push! affraid

Too phar?

But in all seriousness. How would you apply what you do towards a comic property like an anthology?
Back to top Go down
Guydc3

Guydc3

PostSubject: Re: I'm happy and productive...   I'm happy and productive... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 9:54 pm

J.M. Hunter wrote:
Guydc3 wrote:
J.M. Hunter wrote:
What's SEO?

Hmm...mebbe we can use those talents of yours towards our anthology efforts? BAM Too years in the making, (literally!) is gonna need that promo push! affraid

Too phar?

But in all seriousness. How would you apply what you do towards a comic property like an anthology?

First step. Constantly update and add new contact to the blog. Create a twitter and FB for BAM Too. Work those constantly building up the likes and fans/likes for comments and retweets. I would focus on true organic buildup. The street team approach. For something like BAM Too content is king. Links from other sites (write-ups on the Outhouse, any other comic related sites). To start.

Back to top Go down
J.M. Hunter

J.M. Hunter

PostSubject: Re: I'm happy and productive...   I'm happy and productive... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 9:57 pm

Well we got the blog...I got a twitter, but I should make bamtoo it's own twitter and a facebook page too.

http://bamtoo.blogspot.com/

Joe Lee here has also been cool enough to allow stuff on the front page/blog here so w/ that and if the Outhouse chooses to allow bamtoo promotion that's a start right there.

Hopefully all the contributors plug, plug too.

Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: I'm happy and productive...   I'm happy and productive... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 12:29 am

J.M. Hunter wrote:
Joe Lee here has also been cool enough to allow stuff on the front page/blog here so w/ that and if the Outhouse chooses to allow bamtoo promotion that's a start right there.
Any member can submit an article, review or interview for the blog. Send me the stuff you want used, and I'll post it. Both Chris and Alex sent me stuff and it was posted within days.
Back to top Go down
Joe Lee
Admin
Joe Lee

PostSubject: Re: I'm happy and productive...   I'm happy and productive... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 2:20 pm

...and then some days you sit down for 10 minutes only to get dragged away to shop or something...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm happy and productive...   I'm happy and productive... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'm happy and productive...
Page 1 of 1